"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, December 31, 2022

The Year in Review

     Another year over and done with. The years seem to go by faster and faster as we get older, don't they? So it's time to pause and reflect back on the important, memorable items of 2022.

     January.  For several years my wife B and I have been spending February in South Carolina. This year we decided to go early. We left on January 22. And what did we learn? South Carolina is freezing in January. We both came down with nasty colds (not Covid, we tested) but according to B our colds were especially bad because we'd been isolating due to Covid. Our immune systems were out of practice.

     February.  We spent the month in Charleston, visiting children and grandchildren. In the past, my sister would usually join us from Arizona. This year she was going to bring along her two-year-old granddaughter. But the girl was too young to get vaccinated, so my sister didn't risk the trip. B's sister did fly in for a few days. She got sick too. Aside from our own problems, Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24th. It's a terrible situation. We thought it would be over soon. But now it seems like it's going to drag on for who-knows-how long. Let's hope it doesn't escalate and involve European or American troops or, God forbid, "tactical" nuclear weapons.


     March.  When we got home we started in on our Center for Learning in Retirement. We hosted a discussion group on foreign policy and covered topics involving Asia and Latin America, as well as how changing demographics and climate change are affecting U. S. foreign policy. We had some lively and informative discussions. I remember how I used to dismiss older people as out-of-it and irrelevant. But our group has a good historical background. Some of them have lived and worked overseas. And all of them had sharp, cogent comments about the state of the world. Maybe it's not so bad to have an 80-year-old president.

     April.  Speaking of Joe Biden, a Federal judge struck down his mask mandate on airlines. A mistake, in my opinion. Also in April we found out inflation has risen to 8.5%. We're glad we already reserved our place in Charleston for next February when the price will no doubt be even higher. At this rate, how much longer will be be able to afford to go?

     May.  This month we crossed the threshold of 1 million Covid deaths. And yet . . . it's hard to find anyone wearing a mask, anywhere.  Partly because of that, we haven't been going to restaurants. But now it's getting warm enough to eat outside. I love summer!

     June.  The Federal Reserve raised interest rates by 0.75%. That really doesn't affect us. We no longer have a mortgage. We paid off our car loan last year. Maybe this will mean we'll finally get some interest paid on our retirement savings accounts. In other news, Ketanji Jackson Brown was sworn in as the first black female on the Supreme Court.

     July.  Another mass shooting -- this one in Highland Park, Ill. Biden signed into law new gun-safety regulations. Do you think they will do any good?

     August.  We drove out to Madison, Wisconsin, to see my daughter and granddaughter. Madison is a university town and a "happening" place. Then we took a side trip to see the Frank Lloyd Wright house in Spring Green, WI. Author Salman Rushdie was attacked while giving a presentation at the Chautauqua Institution in upstate New York. We spent a week at Chautauqua a few years ago. It's a great place. And I guess it goes to show that nobody needs a gun to inflict pain and suffering. At least the guy didn't shoot up the audience.

     September. We try to do an end-of-summer week or two in Cape Cod. But this year we decided instead to go to a place where the water is warm -- Charleston, SC. What we didn't count on was a hurricane. Hurricane Fiona brushed by the coast causing no rain but heavy surf. A few days later Hurricane Ian took dead aim at Charleston. We got out of there. Turned out Ian caused some flooding in the area, but nothing like what it did to Florida.

     October.  A U. S. House Committee subpoenaed Trump for documents and testimony relating to January 6, 2021. I don't know about you, but as horrible as the attack on the capitol was, I still think this investigation looks like revenge -- and it's certainly looking backwards. I wish instead that Congress could focus its efforts on bringing down inflation, on climate change, on the crisis at the border, the Federal deficit, the underfunding of Social Security and health care, and the list goes on and on. 

     November.  The election. Republicans main a few gains, but Democrats did better than expected. In other words, more gridlock, more fighting, more arguments and angst. But is that so bad?

     December. News reports say that travel has rebounded for the holidays. We just went to B's sister's house for Thanksgiving and Christmas, an hour-and-a-half drive away. My son and his girlfriend came down from New York for a day. We saw other family members on Zoom -- a technology I'd never even heard of in 2020 but now seems as simple as picking up the phone. So it's been a quiet December, at least for us, even if the world is still in turmoil.

     What did I miss? More importantly, what do you suppose 2023 will bring? 

19 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

Well, I noticed that you don't have dementia or amnesia. Good for you!

Tom said...

Well, Gigi, my wife might have a different opinion about that! Regardless, all the best to you and yours for the new year.

Cathy said...

Hi Tom, Happy New Year! Just want to say I have enjoyed reading your columns over the years and appreciate your even-handed commentaries on politics. I agree with your list of problems that Congress and the President should focus on and the need to look forward, not backward. We need more people like you who can see things from many sides and understand making good policies means juggling trade-offs.

Janis @ RetirementallyChallenged said...

Hmmmm... I just realized that I wasn't receiving alerts to your posts anymore... not sure why. Anyway, I will re-subscribe.

Happy New Year, Tom. I am looking forward to a 2023 full of adventures!

Janis @ RetirementallyChallenged said...

Sorry to comment again, but I no longer see where I can sign up for your blog. Can you point me in the right direction? Thank you!

ApacheDug said...

Hmm, an interesting mix of national & personal. Well Tom for all the turmoil around us, you were still healthy (for the most part) and able to travel and see the country and spend time with loved ones... so it sounds like you had a pretty good year. As for 2023, who's to say. Just hoping some of these prices come back down (and those of us depending on our IRAs come back up)! Happy New Year! :^)

DUTA said...

There might be a WW3 during the next two years. The parties involved: Russia, China, Iran, N.Korea against USA and its European allies.
God forbid!

Tom said...

Janis, sorry you've had trouble. On the right-hand side, under "Followers" you can click on "Follow". Or else, right under my photo there's "Subscribe to 60." Hopefully one of those will work. Good luck!
DUTA -- I share your concern, but do hope so much that you are wrong!

Wisewebwoman said...

2023 is looking rather grim Tom. And world economy many be jeopardized or blown to smithereens but we all need to stop and take a breath and decelerate this marvelous planet of ours and commit to ceasing our endless plundering of resources.

On the good news front one in the know has advised me that the green economy is going to be the next New Thing in a very serious way, so there's that.

Happy New Year to your good self and the Missus.

XO
WWW

Anvilcloud said...

You have summarized well. I wouldn’t try that because there is a lack of variety with us these days. We’re always here and doing just about the same thing. Who knows what 2023 will bring. I am hoping for the downfall of fascists among other things — like winning the lottery. Of course, would have to buy tickets. I think I’ll just save my money.

Rian said...

Tom, I agree with Anvilcloud that you have summarized well... and have done a lot more traveling than us. We too are always here and doing just about the same thing. But I do hope 2023 will bring a little more "togetherness" for the world. Not sure how this will happen, but the thought of war is unfathomable.

DJan said...

I enjoyed reading your monthly summary. And I too am hoping we avoid more war, and wish and pray for a good resolution to the Ukraine disaster.

Olga said...

You had a busy year!
We went to a wedding in SC in March == found it cold then too, but that was after months in Florida.

Rita said...

I agree that the mask requirement should be kept on public transportation. My daughter says it's still required in Spain. However, I disagree on the work of the January 6th committee. I think it's important for the nation to know what happened up to and at the insurrection. When I was watching it, I couldn't figure out why it kept going on and on. Now we know. And I do think Trump should be charged.

Janis @ RetirementallyChallenged said...

Me again... sorry. When I click on what I think is the place to subscribe ("Posts") I get a dropdown that lists: Netvibes, My Yahoo, and Atom). I have no idea what any of those are. Am I suppose to click on one... and, if I do, what does it mean?

Debbie said...

wow!! what a wonderful collection of your thoughts...and your year in review!! this must have taken a long time to put together but perhaps it was fun and therapeutic as well!!

no one in my area, new jersey, wears masks either. only when required in doctor offices!! my son flew home for thanksgiving and christmas and did very well on those flights. no covid for him so far!!

i have a good feeling about 2023, wishing you the best!!

Tom said...

Debbie -- Well, perhaps I should have taken a bit longer. I forgot to mention that my wife and I both got Covid in September. It wasn't too terrible, just like a bad cold. Thank you vaccinations! Also, should have given a shout-out to my golf group. I play two or three times a month from April thru October. I also started playing pickleball, but don't know how long that will last. Not sure my knees will hold out. Rita -- Personally, I don't care if he's charged; I just don't want him to be president again.

Anonymous said...

Tom, I agree with you that I don't care if he is charged or not, but I don't want him to ever be president again. And, of course, that is why we need to subpoena him for documents, etc. It's great that people who worked for him have belatedly developed a conscience and testified truthfully, but IMHO that puts the onus of responsibility on his staffers rather than on him. It is he who stood at the mic and encouraged people to go to the Capitol, and we now know that he understood completely what the Proud Boys, etc., intended to do there. He needs to be held responsible, and his followers need to know the depth of his corruption. Once that is done, he can live his lonely life at Maralago golfing 24/7 for all I care.
And in case anyone things the damage is done, I recommend you watch the House today try to elect a Speaker. Yesterday was a debacle, with the entire House being held hostage by 6-7 magahats who were elected. We do not have a House of Representatives right now. Think about it. Third in line of succession, and we can't accomplish it due to 6-7 extremists. So, yeah, I think it's worth putting him through a little investigation.

Miss Merry said...

I think this investigation needs to go much further and that trump needs prosecuted. I was watching this unfold live on television that day and it was terrifying. If this had happened a hundred years ago, he would have been put to death, along with some of his "troops". Letting this go will lead to instability in our government, by example this year's fisticuffs during the election for speaker - between members of the same party! No respect for tradition, fellow citizens, the government or our constitution. I am not advocating for firing squads, but I feel he deserves the same penalties that those who are pleading guilty or being found guilty are getting. And definitely be struck from ever running for public office.