"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, December 10, 2022

The Tooth of the Matter

      When I was younger, living in New York, I had a good dentist. He had a terrible bedside manner -- he was gruff, he scowled, he was almost scary-looking -- but he knew his stuff. He kept my teeth bright and shiny for 25 years.

     Then he retired.

     After that, I had trouble finding a decent dentist. I got one who messed up my root canal. Didn't go back to him. I tried another who charged a lot of money, but the cavity she filled fell apart in less than a year.

     After I left work I found a dental office that was "in network" of my new dental insurance (Delta Dental through AARP). I liked the dentist; she seemed both caring and competent. But she always seemed like she was bring rushed. I felt that the office was pushing her to treat as many patients as possible as fast as she possibly could.

     I finally got a good dentist, recommended by a neighbor. I googled him. He went to Columbia University dental school and was voted one of the "Hudson Valley's Top Dentists". That seemed like good credentials. He was not in my network, but he still ended up charging me the discounted insurance rate, which meant he was affordable. He took care of my teeth, filled a few cavities, made sure everything was clean and up-top-date. 

     And then I moved.

     When I landed in Pennsylvania I found a good dentist, right in my own town. He'd trained at the University of Pennsylvania dental school and was voted a Philadelphia Top Dentist. He had a great staff that gave me all kinds of tips about flossing (every day), mouthwash (with fluoride but without alcohol), brushing my teeth (always use a soft brush), and recommended the mini-picks which I still use almost every night, just to make sure those pearly whites are as clean as can be.

     And then this dentist retired!

     I tried the dental office that advertises at our local movie theater. Didn't like them. 

     Then a friend recommended a dentist a few miles away. "But worth the trip," she assured me. I googled him, and he too, had trained at the University of Pennsylvania and was voted a Philadelphia Top Dentist. One problem: He didn't take insurance. So he was expensive.

     He had all the latest computerized equipment; he took lots of x-rays; he was short with his staff, almost rude . . . making me think that he had exacting standards. He was confident, perhaps even overconfident. 

     But then one of my crowns fell out. He said he could put it back, and he did. But ever since, it's seemed a little crooked to me, and the gum above it sometimes feels chafed. Later, he replaced a different crown. It was never right. It hurt for a long time -- about a year before it finally settled down. And even today there must be something wrong with it. It catches food all the time. I have to floss after every meal.

     So now I have yet another dentist. She's shockingly young . . . at 28, almost a decade younger than my daughter. She went to Temple University dental school, graduating just two years ago. She's not on anyone's Top Dentist list.

     But on my first visit she seemed very caring, very thorough. She found one cavity. The tooth already had a large filling, so she said I needed a crown. I went back to her last week for the drilling, and she fitted me with a temporary crown. I'll get the permanent crown in a couple of weeks.

     I hope she knows what she's doing. Wish me luck.

19 comments:

Rita said...

Thanks for your article. It points out the problems with finding good health care providers and problems with the U.S. health care system. In network, out of network. What bologna(I'm choosing to use a polite word.) I could go on and on about trying to find a doctor to help me figure out what is causing my bloating problems.

ApacheDug said...

Tom I feel your pain (no pun intended). I had a great dentist for 25 years who retired in 2015--the same year I did! I finally found someone 2 years ago, and just like you, she's a younger woman. But I like her very much. Mine is very Southern (she's fun to listen to) but VERY Republican too (rats). I still feel very fortunate to have found her though. I hope yours continues to show promise. :^)

Arkansas Patti said...

Interesting one of your dentists recommended the mini picks. I adore mine and use them after every meal. I have them stashed everywhere, including my car and right beside my computer.
As for a good dentist, I am still looking since my regular guy had to quit with a bad back.
Hope your latest find is a winner.

gigi-hawaii said...

I use a water flosser that shoots out the debris between my teeth. Great invention! I have a new dentist, too, but the verdict is still out on her. Not sure I'll keep her.

Rian said...

I also have a new dentist. The old one was a really good dentist (a woman) and she did excellent work, but not in our insurance network and very expensive. We finally had to find someone who was in the network and think we have. So far we have only had cleanings done, but the office people and dentist himself seem very nice. Hope it works out... for you too.

Red said...

You have a long history with dentists. It's really tough to find somebody who is competent and pleasant.

Linda Myers said...

Thirty years ago when I started at my last job, I asked the secretary who her dentist was. Our whole family went to him until he retired. I like the man who bought his practice. We see him for cleanings.

We go to Mexico for the big work: crowns, root canals, extractions, and implants. It's an hour and 20 minutes from our door to theirs. They take our AARP Delta Dental insurance.

So far, so good.

Tom said...

Doug, I don't talk politics with my dentist. There's enough pain involved already! Linda, if this one doesn't work out, maybe I'll be going to Mexico next.

DrumMajor said...

I've been on a merry-go-round too since my long-time dentist retired. The guy that bought his practice was drill happy, went to a nearby one, then that one sold to his partner and started a practice for rich people. I tried my son't dentist, who "switch and baited" me around my insurance TWICE! A friend's dentist was good, but he moved back to Texas, and I was left with a partner that I could not understand one single word she said. I'm trying another practice, but I want the paperwork via paper, not their computer. I've used the local community college dental hygiene clinic for years. Costs $10 and they do everything but pull teeth or crowns. Linda in Kansas

Anvilcloud said...

You’ve sure made the rounds I let my teeth go a bit during COVID and had to have 5 fillings. After a year between, my checkup not long ago was clear although I did have to have a chip repaired. I knew this ahead of time and made the appointment specifically for that reason.

DJan said...

After Covid, I changed from going every six months for a cleaning and checkup to once a year. So far, so good. :-)

Tabor said...

Hubby has to go twice a year for cleanings and he has some gum issues. Insurance only pays for one cleaning, and we pay for the second. We have always had excellent dentists, glad of that!

Ed said...

I've been blessed with good teeth thus far so I have mostly been concerned with hygienists more than the actual dentist. I have only been to three dental offices over all my decades of life. The first one retired, I tried a new one and didn't go back. It was a zoo and I saw the dentist throw a syringe across the dental room when he was upset at something. I stumbled upon the third and have been there for nearly 30 years at this point. He has retired but his son took over the business and seems nice enough, but like I said, all he does is check my teeth after the cleaning for 30 seconds a visit.

Olga said...

I am looking for a dentist as well. I went to one practice that offered free x-rays and consultation -- which lead to a $12,000 treatment plan. My teeth are not perfect, but on the otherhand, I don't appear regularly on the big screen and they have been otherwise sufficient for all these decades. Oh, and they would do botox as well. So I am looking for someone to clean my teeth twice a year without being pushy with designer services.

Suemn said...

Hi Tom, I'm wondering what to do about my next dentist too. My dentist who I've had ever since she graduated from dental school is retiring at the end of January. She is such a good dentist but, with her retiring, I'm not sure if I want to remain at the same dental practice owned by my dentist and another dentist or try to find something closer to home.

Dave said...

Thanks for posting this Tom, I've been going through something similar with my dental care, though for different reasons, hopefully have found a dentist that I can stick with at this point. Up until a couple of years ago, never had much for dental issues, but aging has changed that!

Bob Lowry said...

I was lucky. I kept the same dentist for 25 years. He and I got grey hair and wrinkles together, and he was gentle and thorough. Then, like your story, we moved about 40 minutes away. After a few years of that drive, I decided to find someone closer.

The new dentist's staff is pleasant and his manner, for the 2 minutes he is in the room, is cordial and efficient. Even so, I miss the comfort of all those years with Dr. Kao and wonder if I should just put up with the commute. A good medical professional is hard to find.

Janette said...

With all the moves we have done, we have had a good share of dentists. I’ve learned a routine of questions and observations before booking. First I look at the office. Is it decked out? Is it humble and comfortable? Is it a tad difficult to get an appointment? Then the questions-. Are you a non interventionist ( Do you put teeth on a watch list before filling? ) How do your hygienists clean teeth? Do you recommend whitening?
The reality is that it is not the dentist, but the hygienist. A great hygienist is worth their weight in gold.
Our best dentist had a smaller practice and did his own cleaning. My sister now goes to him and claims he is the first one to really understand her teeth. Our last dentist told my husband not to replace a molder that had fallen out (after a poor fitting crown). He said bridges ruined other teeth around the area and his mouth was overcrowded anyway. That was ten years ago and my husband is pleased with the decision.
Our worst dentist was my cousin. She graduated at the top of her class at a terrific dental school. She did tons of expensive, unnecessary work. I swear her hygienist hated men. She also did seven gold crowns (including root canals) on my dad just before he died. He had Parkinson’s. She convinced mom he needed the work done. So horrid. My Mom, in turn, hasn’t been to a her, or any dentist, in five years…..

Kay said...

My brother and I remember our childhood dentist by what we called him, "The Butcher." When I got older, I found a dentist who was much, much better thank goodness. And right now, I have one who is very nice.