"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, December 24, 2022

The Latest Thing

     Here's my Christmas list for this year:

     Large bottle of Tylenol.

     Ice pack.

     Tube of CBD cream.

     Two knee braces.

     One ankle brace.

     New pickleball racket.

     Yes, pickleball racket. A few years ago I started playing pickleball. I took a series of introductory group lessons and played a half a dozen pickup games. Then I blew out my left knee. I haven't played since -- until a few weeks ago. Now, throwing caution to the winds, I've started playing again.

My old pickleball racket
     Pickleball is the latest craze for seniors. It's a cross between table tennis (which I've played off-and-on for years) and tennis (which I played when I was younger but I was never very good). The game is played on half a tennis court, with a solid fiberglass or composite paddle and a whiffle ball, and since it's almost always played as doubles, there's only a little bit of running involved.

     If my knees hold out, I think I'll enjoy the game, meet a few people, and get some exercise. But, ultimately, it's up to my knees. And my ankle as well.

     For a guy who's pushed past 70, I'm in decent shape. I'm not overweight. Don't have heart problems. No diabetes. But I do suffer from arthritis. I have chronic arthritis in my ankle and both knees, due primarily to old injuries. I have arthritis in my back, due to sitting behind a desk for 40 years.

     I also blame my parents for the bad bones. My dad dealt with back pain for as long as I can remember, and my mother got osteoporosis later in life. I don't know how much arthritis is hereditary. But both my sisters also have bone issues. One has had surgery on her foot and her shoulder. The other has had both knees replaced.

     I have not gone under the knife myself -- although I've considered it, and may yet get to that point. Instead, over the years I've been through several rounds of physical therapy, and to this day I do stretching exercises every night for my back, my knees, my ankle.

     I've had cortisone shots in my knees. Then in September I went through a round of prednisone. I don't know if you've taken prednisone, but that stuff must be dangerous. The doctors didn't prescribe it lightly, and the list of side effects is a long as my arm. But I took it for six days and experienced no side effects -- and it worked its magic on me.

     Still, now before I play pickleball, I take a couple of Advil or Tylenol. After I get home I ice my knees. Sometimes I rub some CBD ointment on my knee and ankle. I think that helps a little. But it's hard to tell. It might just be the placebo effect.

     I'm always wondering if there's anything I can do to slow down arthritis, to keep the pain down. There's a lot of advice about diet. The problem is that none of it is conclusive.

     Everyone agrees that eating plenty of vegetables, especially broccoli and cauliflower and spinach, is good for arthritis, as well as virtually every other health issue we have. We're supposed to consume lots of fiber, and restrict intake of salt and sugar. People disagree about milk and milk products -- although no one thinks eating a lot of cheese is a good idea. But that may be as much for the salt content as its milk content.

     The truth of the matter is that you can't eat your way out of arthritis. There's no real "cure." Pain killers might help. Surgery can be useful for severe cases. But for most of us the best medicine is exercise -- stretching for sure, as well as light-to-moderate, low-impact movement like swimming, walking, biking. And, hopefully, pickleball.

     I did ask my doctor if playing pickleball is okay. His basic response was that the best thing to do is keep moving. So do anything, as long as it doesn't hurt -- although he did tell me not to run long distances (no danger of that!). He recommended biking and swimming because they are low impact and they build strength. But he said, don't buy a bike and then never use it. Do some exercise that you will actually do.

     So it's pickleball for me. I just hope that, uh, I'm being careful what I wish for. 

17 comments:

Bob Lowry said...

I second the request for CBD cream. The stuff actually works!

Have an accident-free, limited-pain holiday, Tom. Those of us with arthritis must support each other, sometimes literally.

gigi-hawaii said...

I have seen seniors playing pickleball on TV. Looks like Fun. I'm in favor of having fun, whatever it takes. Go for it and enjoy yourself!

DJan said...

I keep fit through walking, mainly, and yoga for stretching. It's hard to keep active when you've got an ice rink for a parking lot. :-)

Tom said...

Thanks, Bob. Thanks Gigi. And DJan, you're an inspiration for all of us!

Ed said...

Hope you get that pickleball racket and not a stocking full of coal! Merry Christmas!

Terra said...

There is a pickleball court near my house. It was controversial because the city parks painted over the lines on tennis courts to pickleball dimensions. It sounds like fun for us oldies. Keep moving and be well. Merry Christmas.

Olga said...

Pickle ball is all the rage but I have heard it is very hard on knees. I don't play but I am happy with walking, biking and yoga for my exercise. I was never good at any kind of ball-based games.

Kay said...

Merry Christmas, Tom! And please be careful with pickleball. Still... here I am not getting as much exercise as I'm supposed to.

River said...

I don't do games with teams and my bike is gathering dust in the shed after being ridden for exactly one summer. I much prefer walking to anything else, swimming too, but I'm not real good at that.

Red said...

When we age we're between a rock and a hard place. If we don't exercise and stretch we're going to hurt and limit our mobility and quality of life. If we do all kinds of exercise we may do damage. I throw caution to the wind and stretch as much as posible.

RetirementCoffeeShop said...

I've been wanting to try a little Pickelball. Maybe I'll put that on my 2023 list of things to try. Merry Christmas!

Anvilcloud said...

I liked and was somewhat okay at both table tennis and the real thing. Like you my problems seems to be arthritic plus a bad ankle injury from when I was 39 that has come back to haunt me. I believe even pickle ball would be too much, but there is not local opportunity anyway. I hope it goes well for you.

Pat S. said...

Merry Christmas Tom! I too started playing pickleball this year with group lessons and some extra doubles play. There is more movement than it looks like, especially laterally. Be extra careful when you back up quickly for a lob or a high soft shot because I have seen some tripping injuries. Also be ready for very hard shots hit right at you, particularly at eye level. Apparently orthopedists are delighted with the increased popularity in pickleball among seniors (kind of joking). BUT its a fun, social game, so enjoy.

Rita said...

Some relatives are trying the Zoe Diet. It costs money, but it seems to reduce inflammation, which causes problems such as arthritis. It's worth looking into. I'm going to start the Dean Ornish program for heart health in January. It's a strict plant-based diet with exercise, meditation, and group support. Ornish has books that are worth reading. The dietitian for the Ornish program told me about a book on gut health -- "Fiber Fueled: The Plant-Based Gut Health Program for Losing Weight, Restoring Your Health, and Optimizing Your Microbiome" by Dr. Will Bulsiewicz. I recommend it. By reducing inflammation, you can reduce arthritis symptoms. It's worth checking out.

Plynjyn said...

Tom, I had grandmothers on both sides with arthritis and so it was inevitable that I began feeling the pain in my hands in my 40s. I began using apple cider vinegar and it has kept me pain free for the last 30 years. I had posted this remedy on Bob Lowry’s blog years ago but he chose to delete it. I mix it with fruit juice a drink it through a straw to keep it from my teeth. Begin with one capful and move up as needed. I am on 7 capfuls per day right now, but it works for me. It is inexpensive and keeps me pain free as long as I use it daily. If I miss a day it can take a few days of misery to become pain free again.

Linda Myers said...

We played a bit of pickleball years ago but then my husband had a cardiac arrest during a game (he's fine now). I did a face plant once running forward as though I was in my 20s. I agree it's a fun game, but remember we're not as young as we wish we were. Be careful.

bflorob said...

Pickleball in my subdivision got me through the pandemic. I started playing right at the start of it. As a former recreational tennis player-which was many pounds and years ago, I picked it up fairly easily. But it is a great social game and it's easy to get started for total beginners. We have a nice mix of men and women that play regularly and its a lot of fun. A few injuries here and there but overall I think the physical and emotional benefits far outweigh the injury risk. Of course its not just for older folks-lots of young people are picking up and the top professionals are in their teens and 20s. Its been great for me as I don't have a huge amount of hobbies so it gives exercise and social engagement. Made lots of new friends-very important in retirement!