"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Hangin' Out at Exit 0

     So we are spending a long weekend in Cape May, NJ, aka Exit 0 on the Garden State Parkway.

     What? Tom, I thought you said you'd just taken on a job. What are you doing, going away for the weekend?

Overlooking Delaware Bay

     Yeah, I took a job. But like I've said many times, when you work in retirement, you work on your own terms.

     Pretty good terms. You start work, and go on vacation a week later?

There's plenty of water in our backyard from the storm

     I guess so. But I told them when I took the job that I would be away for several days at the end of September. And by the way, I'll be away again for a week in mid-October.

     And they still hired you?

The Cold Spring Brewery

     I can do most of the work at home. And actually, it's been raining here for the last two days, and it's supposed to rain again tomorrow. So this morning, B went out shopping for about three hours, and I sat on the porch of our homeaway rental, listening to the wind and the rain, and pecking away on my computer.

     So the weekend's been a washout . . . serves you right!

Looking down a blustery Beach Ave.

     Well, we have had a lot of rain. But the storm let up long enough for us to walk around a little, have lunch, go visit a brewery. And you know what, despite the rain, the weather seems pretty nice. Right now the wind is gusting, but the rain has stopped. And it's not cold. People don't realize that while Cape May is in New Jersey, it's on the same latitude as Washington, DC. And that, along with the warm September ocean, brings mild temperatures to this southern tip of New Jersey. It's in the low 70s right now, about 15 degrees warmer than at home in Connecticut.

The beach was pretty deserted

     So when do you go home, and get back to reality?

     We're leaving Sunday. We're hoping there won't be much traffic on the Garden State Parkway, since the season is over, the only people left walking around town are the retirees, and it's been overcast so there shouldn't be many people headed home from the beach. And hopefully, we'll be out of here before the hurricane hits. They're saying that Hurricane Matthew might be headed this way sometime next week.

Looking through a store window, out to the Washington Steet mall


13 comments:

DJan said...

I've gotten used to exercising in the rain, but that doesn't mean I prefer it! Have a good trip back home. :-)

Aimlesswriter said...

Looks like a great trip!

Janette said...

Sweet job for sure!

Tabor said...

That hurricane has us on our toes this week. Boat off the lift, all loose stuff to be put away, but it is pouring outside now from another storm

Wisewebwoman said...

Well greetings from 20C and endless sun and biggest bowl of sky.fall in Newfoundland. At leat this part of it. Retirement is wonderful. I only take the jobs that appeal to me now. Good on ya.
XO
WWW

Wisewebwoman said...

Well greetings from 20C and endless sun and biggest bowl of sky.fall in Newfoundland. At leat this part of it. Retirement is wonderful. I only take the jobs that appeal to me now. Good on ya.
XO
WWW

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my home town! You did not pick the best of weekends but I hope you enjoy yourself. Try some of the wineries and Beach Plum Farm. Also at the airport is a WW2 museum. We also have a great zoo in Cape May Court House which is just 10 miles up the Parkway. You need to return at Christmas when the island is beautiful!

stephen Hayes said...

As you probably know, rain is common here in Oregon and doesn't stop much.

Chrissie said...

Nice words, "work on your own terms"! It's great when you have reached that stage in life, retirement, I think it's called! Looks like you are having great time!

Jono said...

Tom, if you look over toward Delaware and about 6 miles north of where the Cape May-Lewis Ferry lands you will see where I spent about a dozen summers as a kid.

Tom said...

20C and sunny in Newfoundland? I went in the wrong direction! Jono, I trust you had better weather than we've had this weekend ... and I bet they were fantastic summers!

Anonymous said...

So that's New Jersey, huh? Hawaii might be better.

Anonymous said...

Cape May. One of my favorites. Have not been there lately. Have fun !