Last Friday I began my microwave experiment -- see Is Your Microwave Safe? -- to try to settle the question of whether microwaved water will kill a plant -- and, by extension, whether a microwave is safe to use in cooking or reheating food.
The background: About ten days ago, a Facebook friend of mine posted an item about a secondary school student who performed an experiment for a science fair. She took two identical plants. She watered one with water she heated to boiling in a pan on the stove, then let cool. She watered the other with water heated in the microwave, and then let cool. After nine days, the plant getting the microwaved water was dead. The other plant was thriving.
I'm trying to replicate her experiment. My two plants have been watered twice in the past week -- the one in the gray pot receiving the microwaved water. But so far, seven days later, they don't look any different. Do they?
You might notice I switched the location of the two plants. I will switch them back and forth at every watering, just to make sure that the placement doesn't make a difference. I'll update again in another week. But meantime . . . I feel safe drinking my reheated coffee.