"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, January 14, 2023

Florida ... or Bust?

     I just read that Florida is the most popular state where retired Americans moved in 2022. No surprise there, I guess, although you'd think that the hurricanes might slow things down a bit. Apparently not.

     According to a study that came out in December, Florida was number one. North Carolina took second spot. After that came Michigan (Michigan?!?), Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania?!?), and Washington state.

     Well, I can explain Pennsylvania, if not Michigan.

     Pennsylvania provides a refuge from its high-tax, high-cost neighbors of New York, New Jersey and Maryland. Yet it's still in the Northeast with its cultural, educational and artistic advantages -- and easy access to the major cities like New York and Washington, DC.

     And by the way, Philadelphia has its own advantages with its world-class symphony, museums, universities . . . and this year, anyway, a great football team!

     But this week I'm joining the crowds heading to Florida. Not to live. Just to vacation for a while. Because (ahem, see above) Pennsylvania is in the Northeast where the winters are cold -- not New England cold, but cold enough. Right now the temperature is 32 degrees outside.

     So next week I'll be reporting in as your stereotypical retired Snowbird from hopefully sunny Florida. After that we'll be visiting kids and grandkids in Charleston, SC. (Surprising to me, South Carolina did not make the list.) Stay safe, stay warm, stayed tuned.

14 comments:

Bob Lowry said...

After several business trips back in the day, I have fond memories of Charleston. With its lovely homes, tree-lined streets, and history around every corner, that the city and the whole Palmetto State aren't on the retiree list surprises me.

Enjoy your time in Florida...I assume the hurricane season is finally over.

Ed said...

I have no desire to retire to Florida. I've spent a lot of time in that state and for me, nearly all that time is in a state of misery due to how crowded everything is. If I retire someplace other than where I'm at now, it will be to a place with similar population density and lack of amenities like fast food restaurants or stoplights, neither of which exist in the nearly 500 square miles of my home county.

Kay said...

As a matter of fact, we have two Chicago friends who have bought a condo in Florida. Uuummm... Their car was destroyed by the recent hurricane. It's going to be their winter home.

If I were a retiree, I wouldn't move to Hawaii either since we have nice weather BUT cost of living (especially homes) are crazy right now. And now they say our taxes will be going up.

ApacheDug said...

I haven't been to Florida since the 1970s when our family vacationed there! Always enjoyed it back then, but always enjoyed coming home to Pennsylvania too. Born & raised here, I'll always love PA. Hope you have a good vaca, Tom!

Hjack said...

Always thrilled when Charleston is not on any list of wonderful places to live in retirement. Or ALL of South Carolina for that matter. Retirees should continue to go to Florida, Georgia and North Carolina and bypass this state. Why would any retiree want excellent weather, lovely neighborhoods, beaches, restaurants. Why would anyone want to have the pure joy of driving from the sun-kissed beaches to the Blue Ridge Parkway in the lovely Smokey and Blue Ridge Parkway in 4 hours.
I beg of you to stay away so the roads are less crowded, the restaurants keep their reasonable prices for superb food and homes remain reasonably priced etcetcetc.
Please convince retirees this is NOT the place for retirement.

Anvilcloud said...

Right now, I would probably consider Pennsylvania a tropical. Paradise. OK, maybe just subtropical.

Miss Merry said...

Living just south of Michigan, I have an idea. They have elected a democratic governor, house and senate and are busy restoring rights to middle class families and women. Also, Michigan has miles of coast line which is heavenly in the spring, summer and fall. AS a retiree, I would just stay indoors in the winter - like I did when I visited Florida in the summer one year!

Not a fan of humidity (or hurricanes). I think I'll stay up North.

gigi-hawaii said...

Oh, I am always warm. In fact, I have to use the A/C to cool down. Enjoy your trip to Trump Land. Haha.

Patricia said...

Hello. I’m a new follower and thought I’d introduce myself. Pat

Olga said...

There was actually frost on the ground here in Venice, FL this Monday morning.
Something I have rarely seen in my many winterings here. But blue sky and plenty of sunshine now.

Tom said...

Miss Merry, Thanks for explaining some of the appeal of Michigan, as I did for Pennsylvania ... an Hijack has for SC! Gigi, my sister lives in Florida and she's not a Trumper. But I'm pretty sure her husband voted for him. Go figure.

Pat S. said...

Can understand why people move to Florida because it's warm in the winter and doesn't have State income tax. It does have great beaches if that's your thing. Otherwise the topography of Florida is kind of unattractive -flat with lots of concrete. There is also the humidity and hurricanes. BTW have you ever been there when the insects invade? Oh well -- everyone has choices about where to live and very few places are problem free. Enjoy your vacations, Tom.

Meryl Baer said...

Since our son and his family moved to Florida several years ago we fly down for long weekends. But neither of us are Florida fans. Hope you have sunny, warm and not humid weather. Enjoy!

Kay Lynn said...

We were part of the 2022 migration to Florida coming from Southern California. For us it was a less crowded, less expensive place to retire and we love being able to go to the beach year round.