"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Friday, February 25, 2022

The Re-entry Cold

      I've developed a terrible disease. No, it's not Covid. I've been careful with the masks. I've taken all the vaccinations, avoided crowded indoor spaces.

     But there's another disease out there. And we are all vulnerable, especially since we've masked ourselves away from the usual bugs and germs that live in our environment. It's the simple, old-fashioned cold.

     The background: In February we came to Charleston, SC, to visit children and grandchildren. The kids have been careful. They have all been vaccinated. The grandchildren don't even go to the playground for fear of being exposed to Covid. They do go to preschool, but both teachers and kids wear masks.

     However these grandchildren are age two and four. And if you know anything about two and four year olds, you know they have runny noses. Pretty much all the time.

     So my wife is wiping their noses. And pretty soon she's wiping her own nose -- and coughing and hacking and feeling terrible. She tested for Covid, but the results were negative. Just a cold. She spent three or four days confined to the house, two of them never even getting out of bed. It was the worst cold she'd had in ... well, she couldn't remember when. She's mostly better now. But it's been two weeks, and she's still coughing.

     When she came down with the cold I took no chances. I moved into the guest bedroom. I used a different bathroom. I washed my hands about every ten minutes. Just maybe I could avoid getting this disease.

     But still, we ate dinner together, watched TV together, and when she started getting better we spent some time together in the car. And sure enough, by last Wednesday I could feel something. By Thursday I knew I had the cold. But it wasn't too bad. Sometimes, we thought, the second person in the household to catch the cold doesn't get it as bad.

    Wishful thinking. I spent Saturday in bed, popping DayQuil and listening to my wife cough in the distance. On Sunday I could barely move. My throat was raw from coughing. My head ached from the fluid in my sinuses. It was horrible.

     I thought I might have turned the corner by Monday. But then ... why couldn't I muster the energy to roll out of bed? I couldn't eat a thing. I tried to drink water. You're supposed to drink water. Man, I felt like I was drowning.

     Now it's the end of the week. I am finally starting to feel a little better -- just in time to go home. I feel like I wasted a good portion of my vacation -- didn't see the grandchildren for a week -- and of course the days I was in bed were the days when the sun finally came out and temperatures started to climb into the low 70s.

     Was this a particularly virulent strain of the cold virus? Maybe. But we wonder if all our social isolation, all our mask wearing, meant that for two years we were never exposed to any germs. Our immune systems were out of practice. They forgot how to respond to a normal, common virus. So when a garden variety cold comes along, we are sitting ducks. We have nothing to fight off the virus. And we were laid low.

     The consolation is that now, hopefully, our immune svstems are back in shape. We've had our re-entry cold. Now we're ready for real life when we'll be exposed -- and able to fight off -- the normal germs and common colds.

17 comments:

Miss Merry said...

I am a person that every time I get a cold, it moves to broncitis and then to pneumonia. I could wait it out in my 20's, but by the time I was in my 30's, I had enough scar tissue in my lungs that it would turn into bronchial asthma and that was scarier. I always wear a scarf in the winter, don't hang out in the snow and low temps, and I was using hand sanitizer when hand sanitizer wasn't cool. The minute I felt a cold coming on, I would schedule a doctor's appointment knowing that by the time I got there, I would need drugs. The past two years have been the best for me. Staying home, wearing a mask, even the grandchildren staying home and wearing masks. I have noticed that attending any event even while wearing a mask, I come home with a sniffle. I think it is because I notice it more, I have just been so healthy with the grace of being able to stay home and away from people. Next year our toddler grandchildren begin preschool and I am a little nervous about it.

Rian said...

Tom, I'm so sorry your wife and now you have had to go through this. DH did the same, but his 'cold symptoms' (sneezing, coughing, runny nose - no fever and didn't feel bad) was tested at the doctors and was positive for Covid. He got over it in about a week. I never had any symptoms although we slept together and I never really isolated myself. It is weird how these things work. But hopefully you are right and your immune system has been activated.

I do know that grandkids mean sniffles and runny noses and before Covid, we almost always caught something when baby sitting. Even now I'm hesitant to be unmasked when around our granddaughter since she is in school these days (masked, but still). But we have been triple vaxxed, so I won't deny myself her company. And dare we to think... that things are getting a little better on the pandemic front?

jono said...

A similar thing happened to me. A few weeks after not having to wear a mask all the time I caught a cold. Turned into a sinus infection. Then off to the clinic for a Covid test (negative) before being able to get antibiotics. Took a week to shake it off. I noticed that during the the first year of mask wearing that there were almost no colds or flu. I think I'll mask up whenever and wherever I have to be around people.

Arkansas Patti said...

I was thinking just the other day that I haven't had a cold since 2019. Could be we have lost our immunities. I will still mask up for a while yet. Kind of nice not feeling miserable.

ApacheDug said...

I'm very sorry Tom, colds are miserable things! If it makes you feel any better, while I did feel bad for you while reading this, when I got to the part about you still being in Charleston, I said "AW MAN!" out loud. Truly makes it all the more awful and I am sending out powerful healing thought-rays in your direction. I liked your theory too, that is a good consolation.

Celia said...

So sorry you two got so sick, and on vacation to boot, ouch. We had a spell of flu running around our town, my son's whole family (4 kids) got very sick with it. Several covid tests were nada. I didn't catch it. Hope you both have recovered and are up and running again.

Hope Springs said...

What a bummer to be sick on vacation. But I can say for sure, when our grands were little and started pre-school, I got sick every time we saw them. Every time. Like you, we haven't been sick since Covid started - I'm sure because of isolating and masks. Makes me want to wear a mask in public forever.

Wisewebwoman said...

Deepest sympthy Tom it must have been awful.

You reminded me of a time when Grandgirl was in kindergarten and living with me and EVERY single virus came to roost in my body, gifted from her. The crowning glory (pun intended) was grandma with head lice.

XO
WWW

Olga said...

That sounds like a terrible, nasty cold. Speedy recovery!

River said...

It may have been the milder Omicron version which mimics a bad cold and lasts a bit longer than a cold would. I'm surprised you didn't think of testing while you had it.

Julie said...

I haven't had a cold since 2015, when I retired from teaching university students. And I don't have any grandkids, so that probably helps! To look on the bright side, at least a cold is temporary, and you don't have a more serious health issue. Get well soon!

Meryl Baer said...

It has become a joke in our family that whenever we visit the kids and spend a lot of time with them, I return home with a cold. But it does get better as the kids get older. The colds are not as bad.

Tom said...

Sniffle, sniffle. It's three days later and now I'm home and feeling much better. Thanks for all the well wishes!

Carol Ann Cassara said...

Well... actually the science tells us that immune systems don't forget like that-- and MIT supports that they immune systems have a robust memory at our age: https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/05/all-social-distancing-weakening-our-immune-systems

It really does sound like Covid and if the test she took wasn't a PCR test then it could easily have been a false negative. Home tests do not pick up Omicron very well. Hoping you continue to feel well, Tom.

Barbara said...

That is an interesting thought. Re-entry cold. I get some kind of something every other time I see the grandkids and this was even before Covid. My immune system is just not what it should be, maybe because of the diabetes. It is a shame to have missed so much of your vacation. I think I will try to plan some kind of re-entry so if I do go somewhere I'll have at least built up a little protection.

Rebecca Olkowski said...

So sorry you weren't feeling well. We have all gotten spoiled not getting sick because of masks and vaccines. So far, so good for me and I'd like to keep it that way. Feel better.

Kay said...

I'm so glad you recovered well. I used to catch a cold every spring and fall when I was teaching in Illinois. Since I've retired in 2004, I've gotten sick only a couple of times. I wonder what will happen once we start actually going out. I'm going to continue wearing my mask.