"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Thursday, January 20, 2022

Does Our Spirit Carry On?

     I recently read a novel called Bewilderment by Richard Powers. The author, a professor at Stanford University, has an impressive resume, so maybe he knows something we don't.

     He has studied both physics and English literature. He has written a dozen books. He was awarded a MacArthur genius fellow, won the National Book Award and a Pulitzer Prize, and is, according to Oprah Winfrey, "one of our country's greatest living writers."

     Bewilderment follows the story of Theo Byrne, an astrobiologist at the University of Wisconsin who lost his wife in a car accident and now takes care of his son Robin who is “on the spectrum.” Science comes to the rescue, as the boy takes part in an experimental program that allows him to feel his deceased mother’s emotions. Unfortunately, political pressures intervene and shut down the program, leading the boy to . . . well, I won't give away the story.

     The book is strictly secular. It's ridiculous to think, according to the author, that there's a God who has given us a special place in the universe, who watches over us, planning rewards and punishments for our actions on Earth. The universe is too large, the possibilities for other life -- even intelligent life -- are too great, and it's just an act of narcissism to think there is anything unique or special about us humans.

     Yet a fellow scientist at the university has developed this computer system that captures the emotions of Theo's dead wife, and allows Robin to connect with his mother. The boy begins to feel what his mother feels, to understand how she loves him and what she wants for him. This in turn brings the troubled boy a measure of relief. It calms him down, dissipates his anger, gives him perspective, and offers the boy an almost normal life.

     The story made me realize what some religious conservatives mean when they claim that science is another religion all in itself. After all, science seeks to discover how we got here, why we are here, and what happens to us after we're gone. Isn't that what religion is all about?

     So even in the Powers non-religious world, we're not completely gone when we die. Science has a way to keep us around -- not just in photos and films and recordings, but in our emotional and aspirational essence, so we can communicate with people we've left behind and help guide the lives of our loved ones.

     I guess all of us hope that there is some form of life after death, however murky our view of it may be. No one wants to believe that death is the bitter, final end.

     There are many songs and speeches, prayers and poems to inspire us to believe in some kind of afterlife. You likely have your own favorites. Here is an unlikely one from the rock band Dream Theater called Our Spirit Carries On. It gives me chills every time I hear it. I hope it does something for you, too.



11 comments:

ApacheDug said...

The book sounds fascinating Tom, though I'm still scratching my head over that boy's "linking" to his passed mother...was her essence really captured, or a recreated one I wonder. I also enjoyed that long video, it was a good rock n' roll piece made more provocative by the lyrics.

I know I've done my own share of wondering, after my own mom passed in Dec 2004, I spent the next couple years reading everything I could on the possibilities of existence after death. I don't really believe in an afterlife painted by the various religions, but I DO wonder if our "souls" are recycled in some great, mystical engine of life. Also, I've seen & read some pretty uncanny stories of little kids remembering past lives. I guess we'll never know until our own time comes!

Wisewebwoman said...

To ride on Apache's words Tom, we will never know is my "belief" and that's the great fraud of religions - this after life, never proven, that lets us put up with our existence, promised the rewards of mansions and/or 16 virgins or whatever (or not if we misbehave). And I can see AI in the future capturing personalities ad finitum to comfort loss.

XO
WWW

Olga said...

I know it's a choice, but I do choose to belief in "something" that is beyond our true comprehension. I have my own version of experiential proof too!

Arkansas Patti said...

My mother always said "death is life's greatest adventure for no one really knows." I don't have any locked in beliefs but neither do I have any fears. My father who was an atheist had a near death experience it totally changed him. This will be interesting.

Celia said...

I'm with Patti's mother. I also think death is the next big adventure. No, I cannot really explain it. I also had a near death experience when I was a young mother. I have a friend who likes to try to argue the "science" of it with me from her point of view. I just keep reminding her of first Law of thermodynamics: energy can be changed from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed. The total amount of energy and matter in the Universe remains constant, merely changing from one form to another. We be here and then we be elsewhere. I'm good with it.

Rian said...

I also agree with those who think that death is our next great adventure... and I see no real conflict in science or religion when it comes to this (only in how each looks at it) religion seems to call it heaven/hell and science sees it as energy/matter simply changing form. I choose to think that living things go on... to another existence (with or without form). And I agree with Olga as I have my own personal reasons for this belief.

Fred said...

Tom, I will attempt a slightly different approach to this subject. We all know that unless our species survives long enough to develop the technology to allow us to exit this planet we will cease to exist at some point in the future. This planet is destined to die. I personally do not think we will travel in mass in our human forms to distant galaxies. It would take far too much energy and space. We will very shortly be able to store everything in a person's brain in a computer digitally. What we cannot yet do is store the personality. I believe science will conquer this frontier at some point. Once this is done you could literally upload your entire being into a computer. If your body never awoke after this process, you would literally exist in the computer only. I think it would be best to leave oneself dormant at this point, I don't think our sanity would survive the experience. Now it would be very easy to transport mass numbers of people to far distant locations. All that would be required is the ability to either grow bodies or manufacture robots at the new location. Memories, personalities, hopes and fears are now all downloaded to the new entity. We would literally come to life as if we had just awoken from a very long sleep. Our thoughts and life would pick up just where they left off when we were uploaded. If we are to survive this planet's death, I think this is the most likely scenario. At that point we have become God and a very important ethical question comes into play. How long do we let these new creations live? Infinite life would create absolute corruption. Would we have the ethics to program in a death date? I would hope yes but am not so sure. As for the question of is there an afterlife, pick yes or no. it will not change the end result. If anyone knows of a science fiction book written upon these lines let me know. Thanks.

ain't for city gals said...

Of course, we exist after life....in love When my dad died the chapel was so full of love (for my dad, not for a God) you could have cut it with a knife. That is what we should all strive for in after life. Love is love.

River said...

As Celia said, "we be here and then we be elsewhere". I'm okay with that too. I do wonder if it might be possible to communicate from the elsewhere though. I'd like to let my kids know I'm okay wherever I am.

Anonymous said...

My husband passed away on Feb. 25,2021. I asked him 3 days after he died to send me a sign of some kind that he is still around in some way. The next day I was in his room doing a few things and his oxygen machine turned on behind me across the room. You had to hold the button down for a minute to get it on. I just stood there staring at it for a few minutes. I walked over and turned it off. I do believe he did that somehow. Then a week after that I was cleaning house and Alexa started playing the song "Sherry Baby" without being prompted to. My name is Sherry and hubs sang it to me often. There have been other small things and I truly believe these signs were from him. I have no other explanation.

Anonymous said...

Just read the Bible, it tells us about the afterlife and how we will experience it based on the Gospel of Christ