"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Sobering Stopover

     We didn't make as many stops as usual on the way home from Charleston, SC, and they were quicker too, so we were a little ahead of schedule. As we traveled up I 295 around Richmond, I saw the Cold Harbor Civil War battle site was just off the highway. I suggested to B: Maybe we could stop for an hour.

     I don't know why -- I had no ancestors who were in the Civil War -- but I find Civil War history fascinating. Not just interesting in a general sort of way, but fascinating in the original sense of the word that suggests arousing interest through terror, like the way we are fascinated by the sight of a snake.

     I've taken an online course about the Civil War, and a Civil War class at our local Center for Learning in Retirement. I am not a scholar, but I've read several books on the period (although I was too intimidated to read the thousand-page-plus Grant by Ron Chernow -- which is why I'm no scholar.)

     Anyway, few years ago I visited the Petersburg, VA, battlefield site, with my daughter. We saw remnants of the Confederate defenses against the Union siege of 1864, along with the underground tunnel used by Federal forces to blow a hole in Confederate lines -- a move that backfired when Union forces got trapped in the crater left by the explosion.

     Last year B and I spent a day at Gettysburg. We got a tour of the battlefield, and heard about Little Roundtop and Big Roundtop, and looked out over the field where Picket's men charged the Union lines, costing the Confederates over 2000 casualties in less than an hour.

The Cold Harbor Killing Field today
     The fighting at Cold Harbor was part of Grant's Overland Campaign of 1864, as he pushed back the rebels in the Battle of the Wilderness, at Spotsylvania and Cold Harbor, on the way to Petersburg and then Richmond.

   B and I arrived at the site and walked the one-mile loop around the battlefield, surveying the remnants of trenches, rifle pits, and an open area called the Killing Field where on June 3, 1864 advancing Federal troops were cut down by entrenched Confederate soldiers. From May 31 to June 12, nearly 18,000 men were killed, wounded or captured.

     Of course, as we all know, a year later, on April 9, 1865, Robert E. Lee surrendered the Confederates to General Grant, at Appomattox Courthouse, marking the end of the Civil War. The Union was saved. And some 4 million slaves won an uncertain freedom.

     The cost was an estimated 620,000 people killed in the military, with almost a million more wounded, captured or missing. And who knows how many civilians lost their lives or livelihoods because of the war, or how many survivors suffered what we now know as post-traumatic stress disorder -- damaged people who went unrecognized and uncared for.

Looking over the field from a trench
   When people today talk about how divided we are, how we don't tolerate fellow citizens who have different values, different lives, different views, I think to myself -- they are being myopic. We've seen plenty of division in American history, starting with the Revolution and including not just the Civil War and Reconstruction and Jim Crow and the Ku Klux Klan, but the Gilded Age and violent worker strikes, the 1950s and McCarthyism, the 1960s and Vietnam, and on and on. 

    It's an American tradition to speak our minds, get into arguments, divide ourselves by sex, race, class, ethnicity, region and religion. But hopefully our identity as Americans will overcome all that -- at least to the extent that we will never become so divided that we end up at a place like Cold Harbor again. 


16 comments:

ApacheDug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy @ SMART Living 365.com said...

Hi Tom! You are so right that we easily forget our past. And then when confronted with the experience of it, we are reminded that things have been much, much worse before and we are still here. Your story reminds me of when we visited Croatia and popped over to Bosnia to see the city of Mostar. I was so unaware that just 25 years before our visit the country had been torn apart by a vicious war. It's good for us to remember our past so that we don't make the same mistakes again. ~Kathy

Olga said...

The animosity, divisiveness, intolerance, and rancor are nothing new to humans -- very sad indeed.

ApacheDug said...

It's an excellent post Tom, I deleted my original comment as I let my own anger about certain things (rather, people) get the best of me.

Tom said...

Doug, Sometimes I get angry, too, but then I realize it doesn't do anybody any good, especially me.

Wisewebwoman said...

Gosh you brought back memories Tom. My father and I in our travels went to Gettysburg and toured the battlefields and then watched Ken Burns' Civil War. All of it. What a dreadful toll on human life. Like all the wars still ongoing.

It makes one weep. We don't learn any lessons. And the profiteers make their fortunes.

XO
WWW

Arkansas Patti said...

Sometimes I think we can never reach the division that occured during the Civil War, but I am sure they didn't that either. I pray we learned something by that horror.

Kevin from Virginia said...

Tom, Once again, I recommend you do read Ron Chernow's biography of Grant. Think of each chapter as a short story! You'll be glad you did.

Tom said...

Oh Kevin, now that you're shaming me into it, maybe I will. My summer read?

Ann Bennett said...

I've wanted to go to Gettysburg and meet up with a distant cousin. My second Great grandfather was at Appomattox with his two sons when Lee surrendered. I have ancestors that fought on both sides. I can tell you the devastation left the South in ruins until World War II when reconstruction actually began. Knowing this, I feel like shaking anyone who wants their state to secede from the Union because their Presidential nominee did not win.

Jack Brown said...

We are the best creative ebook writing company in the United States. You can read our reviews and place your order at Excel Book Writing Services Company in USA.
Excel Book Writing

Mage said...

Thank you for this.
I lived in Yorktown for two years, and that gave me a new viewpoint on both the Civil War and the Revolutionary War.

John from Ohio said...

Lived about 6 miles from Cold Harbor for 10 years. That battlefield pulled me in many times. Standing next to the trenches dug 146 years ago was and is an eerie feeling. Always left me feeling calm.

Snowbrush said...

Tom, I grew up in south Mississippi, but had no idea that I had Civil War veterans in my ancestry until I started researching my genealogy, and found, to my shame, that I had many grandfathers and uncles who fought for the South. I also learned that I had an aunt who opposed the war and did her best to talk her brothers out of going. Her efforts were in vain, and one of those brothers died of wounds received in battle. After the war, she petitioned the government for reimbursement of a prize horse the cavalry had taken. To win her petition, she had to prove her loyalty to the Union by summoning witnesses. One witness testified that her neighbors were so angry at her that only her gender saved her from violence.

Kay said...

It's incredible to think just how many lives were lost during the Civil War...how many casualties. We are now a divided America with a lot of different factions. It's sad, depressing and scary.

Anonymous said...

I've heard it said one of the reasons for the high death toll in the Civil War was that both sides were fighting using 1860-ish technology but with Revolutionary War tactics.

It never ends... men are always fighting the last war.