"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, February 18, 2023

Longevity Report Card

      How long we live, and how healthy we are, depends partly on the lottery of birth -- how healthy our parents were and how long they lived. We're winners if we drew the longevity card from our parents, not so lucky if we drew the fat card, the alcoholism card, the cancer card, or a predisposition to any other disease. 

     Still, there's a lot we can do to help ourselves live longer and feel better, no matter who our parents were -- or however much we may have mistreated ourselves in our younger years. If a person smoked when they were young, for example, but has not touched a cigarette in 20 years, their lungs look almost the same as someone who never smoked at all.

     We are not complete masters of our fate, but we are not passive victims either. We have a lot of control over our own destiny even if, as often happens, things do not turn out precisely as planned.

     Some people have their own secrets for staying healthy. A fistful of vitamins or glass of wine every day? Yoga three times a week? Here are some of the most obvious ones . . . and how I'm doing. How are you doing?

     Eat a Good Diet. We've seen the fad diets come and go, but the real answer is no secret at all. Healthy people avoid too much meat and dairy. They restrict the amount of sugar and salt in their diets. They drink lots of water, and maybe some tea or coffee, and perhaps a small amount of alcohol. They consume lots of fruits and vegetables -- any diet rich in fruits and vegetables is linked to a reduced risk for cancer, heart disease and diabetes.

     How am I doing? If left to my own devices I would probably get an F. But thanks to my wife, I'm probably around a B+.


     Get Plenty of Sleep. Various studies have demonstrated that a good night's sleep leads to lower blood pressure and boosts the immune system, while too little sleep can be linked to an increased risk for stroke and cancer. Some studies have even suggested that sleep deprivation affects the brain, leading us to make poor decisions that are detrimental to our health.

     I'm a good sleeper. Grade: A.

     Get Some Exercise. The CDC recommends sweating our way through aerobics for two and a half hours a week. We should also engage in some moderate strength training, whether it's lifting weights or doing sit-ups, or digging in the garden and practicing yoga. The important thing is to pick an activity that we enjoy so we'll keep doing it on a regular basis.

     I do get some exercise. My problem is I don't have a regular routine. I let things slip. But I'm a solid B . . . okay, maybe a B-.

     Drive Safely. We sometimes forget in this age of seat belts and air bags that traffic accidents are still a major cause of death -- some 40,000 Americans a year, according to the National Safety Council. So we should wear our seat belts, put down our cell phones, obey speed limits. Also, be careful about he side effects of any medications you may take. And while you're at it, watch out for accidents at home . . . in the bathroom, on the stairs, in the kitchen.

     Me? I'm not a speeder or a tailgater, and I always hold onto the handrail on the stairs at home. But my attention does sometimes wander. Grade: B+.

     Maintain and Active Social Life. People who enjoy a close family life or have plenty of friends typically live longer than people who are lonely. Experts say that being engaged in a community gives people a sense of security, promotes healthy behavior, and helps people avoid self-destructive habits like drinking too much.

     On my own, I'd probably get a C; but again, thanks to my wife I'm a solid B.

     Have a Purpose. Death rates for older men who are still working are half of what they are for men of the same age who are fully retired. Mortality rates for women are similar, though not as pronounced.  Researchers have concluded that it's not the working that makes the difference, but staying involved and engaged in something bigger than our own personal problems.

     I have some activities that keep me focused and engaged, but I should probably have more. Grade:  B.

     Relax. Yes, we need to stay involved. But the experts also say it's important to spend time in silence, and in nature, and not be hounded by constant stimulation. As behavioral geneticist Susan Smalley of UCLA writes: "We need time to do nothing, to be our best selves -- well-rounded and creative human beings. The 'doing' side of our nature needs a 'being' side to be in balance."

     I experience some anxiety from time to time. But I do nothing very well. A-.

     Go to the Doctor. We should all get our recommended vaccines -- the pneumonia vaccine, the shingles vaccine, the Covid booster, and the flu vaccine every fall. We should also keep up with recommended screenings, including the much-dreaded colonoscopy. The CDC points out that over 60 million Americans have high blood pressure, yet fewer than half of them have it under control. So we all need to check our blood pressure, take our medications -- and make all the other lifestyle changes that will allow us to live long and prosper.

     My overall grade: a solid B. So I'm doing okay, but could do better, which probably explains why I have some arthritis, and I'm on two medications -- but at least I'm still alive!

16 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

A B average is good. Keep doing what you are doing. I can see that having your wife in your life has helped you a lot. She is definitely a keeper.

Anvilcloud said...

My rating is not so great, but I am still doing relatively well at 75, prostate notwithstanding.

DJan said...

I am also doing well, and would give myself an A-. All my numbers are good, but I think my diet could be a little more healthy. I love ice cream but limit myself, could eat more vegetables daily.

ApacheDug said...

Tom, I sure am envious of your good diet grade--I avoid most junk foods and cannot remember the last time I ate fast food, but aside from tomatoes & cucumbers, most of my veggies come from cans. Don't drink, don't drive (anymore) and I exercise 4 days a week. Doing better than a year ago (when I was diagnosed with hypertension and was 30 lbs heavier) but I could and should do better. PS. In one year I'll be the same age as my dad when he died :^(

Rian said...

If I had to guess, I'd give myself a B- ... as although I try to eat healthy, I probably don't get 'enough' fruits and veggies in... and definitely not enough exercise. But I do keep up on my annual doctor visits and vaccinations. And I sleep fairly well... not as deep as I used to, but OK. I would like to spend more time with nature, but outside of taking care of the ferals, don't get much of a chance to do that. All in all, at 77, I'm not doing too bad.

River said...

My parents had the potential for longevity but they both died of cancers, lung cancer for my dad who began smoking aged 11, bowel cancer for my mum whose diet was sugary, fatty etc for far too long and she became diabetic from that too. But my ancestors all lived well into their 80s and 90s, so there's hope for me. I could do with a better diet and more exercise but I'm okay with the sleeping and relaxing part.

Tom said...

Doug -- If you avoid junk and fast food and eat lots of tomatoes and cukes, you probably get a better grade than I do. River -- Your mum's story scares me b/c I know I eat too much sugar, but I'm addicted. And Rian -- I guess all of us, if we're in our 70s and alive and still standing, are not doing too bad.

DUTA said...

Yes, we can help with our health. Nutrition is at the top of the pyramid; it should, however, also include food items that can eliminate the waste from our body in no time, so that no damage is done to the digestive system. What items? that's for everybody to find out, based on observation of one's body's reaction and needs.

Next come sleep, weight watching, and walking. It's important to know that driving raises blood pressure. Commuting as a passenger, too. Walking is the healthiest kind of moving about.

Above all, praying To God for health and protection is of great help.

Kay said...

Uh oh... I'm in trouble. I need to improve in so many of those categories.

Linda Myers said...

I'm about a B-, I think. My left knee needs to be replaced and I'm hopeful that after that I'll be back to getting more exercise. Walking was my main form of exercise and I miss it.

Olga said...

Right now (can't take anything for granted at my age) I am doing well in all these areas but it is concerning to see peers with grades starting to fall in one or more categories. I have been focusing on balance for a couple of years now because so many things with friends have seemed to have started with falls.

Tabor said...

I am much like you. My diet is pretty good and I try to exercise often. I should post my list because you have motivated meQ

RetirementCoffeeShop said...

My diet and exercise need a lot of work. I was googling about life expectancy yesterday and found a calculator. Based on my current stats I have an expectancy of 84. If I tweak the weight section with a much better weight, I add 7 years to the expectancy. Wow, something to think about and to get my self in gear!

Janette said...

Men in my family- No matter the size or shape, between 82-5 seem to be the norm. The women? My mom just passed at 92. She was right around 230 until she stopped eating three months before passing. Her “in shape” sisters passed at 92 and 60 (lung cancer). Her older -plump” sister is 96- the only one with dementia. Nana- a widow at 50-passed at 85. I think genetics has everything to do with it. In the past, there have been no tiny women in our family.
Everyone walked and was outside often.
Consistent movement, no smoking, no excessive drinking. Basic diet- pure ingredients. My last trip to the doctor gave me a stern talking to about weight, but an absolute clean bill of Heath. Mom died three years after taking herself off of the 20 medicines. She never got another shot - except the J&J covid. Pretty sure I have no intention of starting the doctor route…. If I die tomorrow, I’ve lived a great life.
I’m with Olga, balance. Every death of a woman in my family started with a fall. Good bones- but a fall is a fall.

Unknown said...

I congratulate all of you who are being so proactive about your good health! After all, it is the most important thing in retirement--without your health nothing else is going to matter!!

For me, 2021 was a very big year!! I gave up eating meat (and never looked back), but I also suffered a bad fall and a horribly sprained ankle! Happily, that led me to a fantastic personal trainer. Because of these things, I've lost over 20 pounds, gained a lot of muscle and energy, and am getting younger every day! I try to eat 5 cups a day of fruits and veggies, and that's so good for my weight and my immune system. And I have the energy and stamina I need to keep up with my grandkids!

In 2022, I decided that my brain could some better exercise, so I took up studying Italian. And this year I'm starting a new business as a retirement coach. Life is Good--Stay Healthy!

Kathy said...

Wow, this is great! Thank you for posting it - really a lot to think about. I have enjoyed reading several of your posts. I just started a blog about my own retirement and hoping we can all learn from each other.