"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Sunday, October 9, 2022

Words of Wisdom

     I don't know about you, but I sometimes wonder what getting old is all about. The whole notion seems strange to me. Why do I find myself taking a nap in the afternoon? Those little bumps and bruises that show up on my body -- where do they come from? Why don't people speak a little louder . . . and maybe talk a little more slowly? And most of all: who is that stranger staring back at me from the mirror?

     When I'm confused about life, or questioning what's happening to the world, I usually go back to the writers and philosophers who guided me earlier in life. So here are a few quotes about aging from people smarter than I am. Some of them are funny, some inspirational, some comforting. And . . . maybe you have a favorite quote of your own?

     "The older we get the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for."  -- Will Rogers 

     "To get back to my youth I would do anything in the world except exercise, get up early, or be respectable."  -- Oscar Wilde

     "Old age is like a plane flying through a storm. Once you are aboard there is nothing you can do about it."  -- Golda Meir

     "The older I get, the more clearly I remember things that never happened."  -- Mark Twain

     "Always be nice to your children, because they are the ones who will choose your retirement home."  -- Phyllis Diller

     "Getting old is like climbing a mountain. You get a little out of breath, but the view is much better!"  -- Ingrid Bergman

     "You can live to be a hundred, if you give up all things that make you want to live to be a hundred."  -- Woody Allen

   "It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."  -- Andy Rooney

     "The older I get, the better I used to be."  -- Lee Travino

     "I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a lot more as they get older, and then it dawned on me -- they're cramming for their final exam."  -- George Carlin

     "I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap."  -- Bob Hope

     "I have reached an age when, if someone tells me to wear socks, I don't have to."  --  Albert Einstein

     "When your friends begin to flatter you on how young you look, it's a sure sign you're getting old."  -- Mark Twain

     "The idea is to die young as late as possible."  -- Ashley Montagu

     "You don't stop laughing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop laughing." -- George Bernard Shaw

15 comments:

Tabor said...

Those were fun and worth posting!!

ApacheDug said...

These are good, I'm especially fond of the ones from Will Rogers, Mark Twain & Phyllis Diller! Tom is there a way to pin this collection on your blog's homepage? I'd like to come back & see these again.

Arkansas Patti said...

These were all delightful and totally true:) A great selection. I often tell that stranger in the mirror,"Girl, you are getting U-G-L-Y." Then I laugh and she does too.

Kay said...

Every one of these is so funny and so true. It's hard to choose. Now I'm feeling like a nap.

Rian said...

I do the same, Patti... except I usually add, "Who are you? You don't even look familiar... "
But yes, these are good quotes, Tom. Truthfully, I think the best thing to have when growing old is a sense of humor.

Linda Myers said...

Yep, a sense of humor is good. And a mirror not right out there in the open.

I agree about the bumps and spots. Glad I'm not the only one!

Tom said...

Doug, thanks. I used to have Quotes as one of my pages. Maybe I'll bring it back. Because they all say it better than we do, don't they?

Red said...

There's a wide variety of comments here. some very witty and some very wise.

DJan said...

I think you have all the good ones right here. What a joy to read these and smile ruefully.

Ed said...

Thank you for the humor Tom! I really enjoyed the Andy Rooney quote the best but he was always someone I admired. I really missed his dialogs that he used to give once in awhile on random subjects.

gigi-hawaii said...

I liked the one by Phyllis Diller the most. It actually cracked me up, so funny yet right on the money.

Wisewebwoman said...

Great quotes, Tom.
One of my favourites has always been by Madeleine L'Engle who says: "The greatest thing about growing old is that we don't lose all the other ages we've been."
True dat.
XO
WWW

RetirementCoffeeShop said...

Great quotes that are so true! Thanks for the laughs.

Rebecca Olkowski said...

I loved the Woody Allen quote. So true. Great quotes. Aging kind of sucks. But it's all how we react to it.

Meryl Baer said...

Great collection of quotes. A sense of humor is a major priority for growing old graciously.