"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, August 20, 2022

What Are You Afraid Of?

     I recently realized that the most important issues facing us today are not racial tension, war in Europe, inflation, abortion, insurrection. They are important, sure. But none of these things threatens to kill us tomorrow.

     Here's what can kill us tomorrow. Here's what we should be afraid of:

     Gun violence. There are some 30,000 shooting deaths in America per year -- and the number is rising. More than half are suicides. I'm not suicidal, and I hope you aren't either. I don't own a gun. Also, I'm not African American. And for a host of reasons African Americans are eight times more likely to be killed by firearms than white people. Still, many of us occasionally venture onto a high-school or college campus for our senior learning courses, or we go to the mall or a concert or sporting event. We could be a target, no matter who we are or where we live.

     Falling. Some 32,000 Americans die every year from falls. And guess which age group suffers the most? One out of four seniors falls every year -- in the shower, on the stairs, in the dark. Not every fall results in an injury, but the Center for Disease Control says about 3 million older Americans show up in an emergency room because of a fall. I try to be super careful in the bathroom, with its slippery tiles. I always hold onto the bannister when I take the stairs. And I have a running battle with my wife about the throw rugs. She thinks they're pretty; I think they're dangerous.

     Drug addiction. When we were in Michigan last month, where recreational cannabis is legal, we succumbed to curiosity and bought some marijuana. We got packages of little beads, which you can put in a drink or eat right out of the pack. After we got home, we tried it. Didn't do much for me or my wife. But it does do something for some people. Not to mention the pain medications that people take after a surgical procedure or to treat chronic pain. I don't think I'm going to die of a drug overdose. But opioids are seductive. Probably very few of the 70,000 Americans who died of drug abuse last year ever thought they'd be a victim either.

     Global warming. Is this really going to kill us tomorrow? Well, my wife and I are planning to spend two weeks in September on the coast of South Carolina. At the height of the hurricane season. These days the storms are fiercer, just like the fires are hotter and the floods are higher. Add to that the possibility that as temperatures increase and icecaps melt, more and more deadly bugs and bacteria will be unleashed on humankind (covid, monkeypox, polio, more to come). I don't think global warming will kill me -- otherwise, why would I be going to South Carolina? -- but it might kill my grandchildren.

     Nuclear Armageddon. Maybe I'm a bit to quick to dismiss that war in Europe. The Russians are holed up at a nuclear power plant. The Ukrainians are shelling the Russians. Could there be an unintended but catastrophic hit? Or, if the Russians start losing, could they turn to a "tactical' nuclear option? Then there are the nuclear dangers from India, Pakistan, North Korea, Iran, Israel and Islamist terrorists. 

     Traffic accident. I just saw a report in our local newspaper. U. S. traffic fatalities, after declining for years, began to climb two years ago. The trend is continuing in 2022. Roadway deaths were up 7% for the first three months of this year -- almost 10,000 people died, the highest count in over two decades. The government blames the increase on "speeding, impaired driving, and other reckless behavior." National Highway Safety Administrator Steven Cliff, saying now is the time to double down on traffic safety, announced a national impaired driving enforcement program for the weeks surrounding the Labor Day holiday.

     Ourselves. I know I'm supposed to eat right. But does that stop me from reaching for the sugary snack? I know I'm supposed to exercise, but does that stop me from saying to myself, "Oh, I'll do it later." Or, I'm supposed to read a book or do a puzzle or ramp up my social life. All these things help us live longer and healthier lives. But instead I flop on the couch, turn on Netflix, and watch a stupid crime show that does nothing but lull me to sleep.

     We can urge politicians to address global warming and the nuclear threat. And they should. We can urge drivers to slow down on the highway. And they should. But sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

     

13 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Totally agree especially about ourselves. Every health issue I have was self inflicted. I quit most health hazards years ago but still have the effects.
I do worry about global warming, not for me for I am old enough to know it won't be solved in my lifetime but I worry for my younger family members.
My biggest fear is that I won't outlive my pets.

DUTA said...

I'm afraid of God. No, I'm not a religious person. The God I believe in and pray to, is the Superpower that controls the World, the Universe, Nature, Climate.
The belief in, and fear of God makes me a better person. It shows me the right way in life, and helps me survive. Nothing can be taken for granted. One should pray to God to wake up in the morning, to a day without accidents and tragedies.

RetirementCoffeeShop said...

I relate to the "ourselves" portion of you blog. I tell myself every morning to eat better and get some exercise and usually fail horribly by day's end. My lack of taking care of myself will likely be my demise.

gigi-hawaii said...

Well, something is gonna kill you. I think I'll just die in my sleep due to natural causes. Enjoy your stay in S.C. next month. One of the benefits of living on the mainland is you can drive for miles without taking the plane. Lucky you!

ApacheDug said...

I'm afraid of cancer. My dad died from lung and prostate cancer at 63, Mom died from uterine cancer at 64. Now that I'm turning 61, I worry my time is almost up. As for the ones you mentioned, the gun violence sickens me greatly. Not so much for me, but I keep waiting for my phone to ring and a relative telling me a loved one was shot and killed. How did we let things go so far. I may not pack a lot of stuff in my days, but I don't take a single one for granted.

Red said...

I like your last sentence. There ae many things we could do for ourselves. We could eat a much better diet. We could take safety a little more seriously. I'm one of the worst when it comes to taking chances. Interesting post.

Terra said...

Rian mentioned this post so I came over to read it. Remember that Pogo comic strip? Yes, I am old. One of the critters says "I have looked in the mirror and the enemy is us", that has the ring of truth. Exercise more, eat less, etc., I could do more to keep fit.

Tom said...

Doug, I'm afraid of cancer, too, because it's in my family. I'm not afraid of heart disease, because it's not. But as Gigi says, something's gonna get us in the end. But ... under the category of what we do to ourselves, I haven't plopped down in front of the TV for three days!

Ed said...

I don't worry about being shot to death for the very next reason you mentioned. One is more likely to die by falling and nobody worries about that one. But I do agree that most of the others should be worrisome especially global warming and ourselves.

Jennifer (UnfoldAndBegin) said...

Those are all very scary!

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Yep. Our own worst enemies!

Linda Myers said...

I know I'm powerless over most people and things. Don't worry a lot about them. But how many more almonds do I eat in a day than are recommended? And now much less do I walk? My choices, my risks. I'm a great rationalizer.

Rebecca Olkowski said...

It's true that we can be our worst enemies. I have turned into a hypochondriac always thinking I have something wrong with me but it is almost always nothing.