"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Sunday, July 4, 2021

What Does July 4th Mean to You?

     July 4th is the day we declared independence from the tyranny of the English crown, 245 years ago, which eventually, after much argument, negotiation and an eight-year war, led to the formation of the United States.

     By now, of course, we've forgotten much of what we're celebrating. Most of us have no ancestors who were there at the time. At least, I don't. In 1776 my forebears were scratching out a meager existence on the periphery of Europe.

     Many Americans just use July 4th as an excuse to enjoy a long weekend and go to the beach or have a barbecue. Others may even harbor resentments about the holiday, as a symbol of how their parents or grandparents were treated when they arrived on these shores . . . African Americans, obviously, but also Asians, Italians, Latinos, Irish, Eastern Europeans. 

     I blame the English -- not the English of England, but the English of America, many of whom, egged on by PBS and other anglophiles, still think they are better than the rest of us.

     Sure, I have an abstract appreciation of what our Founding Fathers did. But I have no direct, emotional connection. Neither do I hold a grudge against the people who thought less of my ancestors because they were just off the boat -- maybe because my grandparents were able to join the great American middle class.

61% of us own an American flag
     So July 4th means different things to different people. For me, I'll admit, I mostly enjoy the fireworks, the parade and the parties. 

     To Meryl Baer, who retired to a beach town in New Jersey, it means the arrival of tourists. "Folks love three-day holiday weekends and particularly the long summer weekends -- especially this year with the launch of post-Covid life." So in Holiday Happenings she offers her view of the crowds packing her shore town, and reveals when she and her husband like to venture onto the sand.

     For Laurie Stone it's A Different Kind of Fourth. She remembers sitting in a veteran's hospital with her dad. He gives a weak cheer when he learns the Yankees won. Nathan's is holding its annual hotdog-eating contest. The heat outside is record-breaking. And his Parkinson's is progressing.

     Carol Cassara looks at the broader landscape and worries that Something's Going On and It's Not Good. She sees how the Covid lockdown has cost us, as we feared doing something as simple as going to the grocery store or eating at a restaurant. It's easy to stay cocooned, she says, but fear and anxiety prowl our world, and we need to do something about them.

     On a more personal note, Rebecca Olkowski with babyboomster.com asks: Have You Lost Interest in Love Now That You're Older? She has some ideas about how to enjoy being on your own, how to discover who you really are, and how to enjoy being yourself for a while.

     Rita R. Robison, consumer journalist, offers Facts and Figures for July 4th, 2021. Her pictogram shows, sadly, that only 42% of us are "extremely proud" to be American, compared to 70% in 2003 -- yet paradoxically 61% of us own an American flag.

     Jennifer of Untold and Begin asks What Does Success Look Like to You? She suggests a couple of ways to focus not on the kind of success that looks good to the world, but the kind of success that will make you happy. 

     Finally, I want to mention a blog I ran across from Wealth Legacy Institute, a financial advisory firm based in Denver and managed by women. The company specializes in financial planning, of course, but also publishes a blog that covers retirement. The latest post Pinpoint Your Passions -- Opportunities for Volunteering in Retirement offers some concrete advice as well as links to several organizations doing meaningful work.

     Because in my opinion, the American Way that we can all believe in, no matter what our ethnic, political or social stripe, is how we help each other out, whether it's volunteering for our fire department, sponsoring an exchange student, running for local office, sharing our lives with other people through a church or community organization. These are the things -- perhaps even more than national holidays -- that bring us together, make us a community, and produce real pride in America.

11 comments:

DJan said...

I have lived through many of these Independence Day celebrations, but in my memory only some very beautiful fireworks displays live on. And the ooohs and aaaahs that accompanied them. :-)

Meryl Baer said...

Great post, Tom, a summary of the great and the not so great about our country and the meaning of the Fourth to each of us.

Arkansas Patti said...

Sorry Tom I am one of "those" English, not in attitude but in arrival time to this country. We got off a boat also and are just more European immigrants. I do have family that fought in the Revolutionary war but also had those that were loyalists to England and left America for the Bahamas. I never thought we had any edge on anyone else, in fact many were downright rascles.

Tom said...

Patti, thank you for not being offended. Your background may be English, but you're not one of "those" English or English-wannabes who constantly have their nose stuck in the air. Maybe we see that more in the Northeast than the rest of the country. I must say, however, reading your excellent blog, I think maybe you DO have an edge over the rest of us scribblers. Take care.

ApacheDug said...

I enjoyed a couple of these other links Tom (particularly Rita Robinson's July 4 Facts n' figures) thanks for sharing. I'm not proud to admit it, but you can count me in that camp that was decidedly more patriotic in 2003 compared to now. (Actually, I was more patriotic in 2008-2016 when Barack Obama was in office, I really felt our country was finally putting ugly things behind us.) I was wrong, of course in a big way. And after the past 4 years (and having to suffer the fools of so many still).... I'll keep any further thoughts to myself.

Rebecca Olkowski said...

As I am of Eastern European ancestry I certainly relate to your mention of English Americans and how they lack tolerance for anything that is not like them.

Carol Cassara said...

It is certainly a different kind of 4th for me this year.

RetirementCoffeeShop said...

It means cookouts, fireworks and flying old glory. It just feels like the most patriotic day that we have. I loved putting out my flag and just feeling proud to be in this country.

Anonymous said...

Well I am English and I must say you live in a very strange place if what you describe is the norm. I thought the South was supposed to be the intolerant place, and it turns out to be the Northeast.

Linda Myers said...

Most of my ancestors - Scotch and English with a sprinkling of Scandinavian - have been here since before the American Revolution. They were farmers and blacksmiths and grocers, mostly. Ordinary folks. Some fought for the Union and some for the Confederacy in the Civil War. I have wonderful memories of July 4ths from many years ago and from recently. I like the traditions of the day, when we can come together and just be Americans, regardless of our political views or our economics.

Kay said...

I have to admit that growing up in Hawaii, I didn't think anything of the 4th. When we moved to Illinois after we were married, the 4th was picnics, fireworks and parades.