"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, December 19, 2015

A Christmas Miracle

     As I reported in Weekend in New England, I lost my camera last week when we stopped off at a Christmas tree farm to cut our own tree. At some point while I was crawling around on the ground, first inspecting and then cutting a tree, my camera must have fallen out of the pocket of my coat.

     I discovered it was missing when we stopped for a cup of hot cider. I rummaged through all my pockets. B checked her pockets, just in case I somehow gave it to her for safekeeping. We trudged back up the hill and searched through the trees, brushed over the ground, peered along the path. All to no avail.

     It was a long shot anyway. You couldn't expect to find your camera that you dropped "somewhere" up on a hill crowded with Christmas trees and a couple of hundred would-be lumberjacks. Yes, I left my name and number at the office, just in case, but I knew it was nothing but a desperate move.

Then ...
     Unfortunately, this is nothing new to me. In the summer of 2014 I lost another camera while we were vacationing on Cape Cod. But that time I was lucky. A few weeks later, as I reported in Look What I Found! I brought our car in for a wash, and the guys found the camera . . . somewhere amidst the cracks and crevices of the car.

     And so to the "Christmas miracle." The day before yesterday our telephone rang. (Yes, we still have a land line.) It was a woman from the Christmas tree farm. Someone had turned in a camera. Was it mine?

     "A Canon Powershot?" I asked.

     "Yes, that's right."

And now
     "The last photos on the camera would be of some of your Christmas trees."

     "You've got it," the woman replied. "I can't mail it to you, but you can come by and pick it up anytime. We're open every day."

     And so yesterday B and I drove up to the Christmas tree farm, picked up my camera, drank another cup of cider, and stopped at the mall on the way home. We were in a very generous mood and so we bought lots of presents. (Besides, this year at least, everything is on sale.) We wanted to pass on our good fortune to our loved ones.

    

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news. And what a pretty Christmas tree.

Olga said...

That is an amazing story. Hope you bought a lottery ticket along with that cider cause luck was definitely out to find you.

Rosaria Williams said...

Lucky you! Now, for sure, you can enjoy being Santa!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story Tom. As Anne Frank said,, despite everything, I Still believe there are good people in the world. And your tree is beautiful!

Tabor said...

I somehow knew it would turn up. I think it was more likely at a tree farm with hundreds tramping around than on a solitary trail with only a few hikers. So happy for you.

stephen Hayes said...

That's great news about your camera---an early Christmas present. You must have been a very good boy this year. Happy Holidays!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

What luck and good news! Have a great weekend!

Celia said...

Great Christmas story.

Pam said...

I just love a happy ending!! Thanks for sharing such uplifting news with us, Tom. Some days, it seems like all we hear is the negative, but there are many wonderful people in our world, and one of those made sure you got your camera back. Merry Christmas. BTW, pretty tree.

Barbara said...

Wonderful ending. I was really bummed about losing my new cell phone recently, but luckily I had backed all my pictures off to my lap top. Glad you've still got all of your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Told ya! I knew it would turn up. Plus I put in a good word for you with Santa. He never fails.
Have a very Merry Christmas, Tom. And a very Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Since I must walk for my type2 diabetes daily I find tons of possessions I usally call to let them know I have their wallet as I don't drive and they are at work..I would never not return someones' possessions ever..It is theirs...Some fellow at an Applebees in Fresno California found a big envelope with $32, 000 cash he turned it into the manager and the police came, the lady who it belonged to came in screaming and hollering, she never even thanked the waiter or manager or the police, really! Most people offer me money or lots of nice things, I always refuse, why be paid to be honest that is they way I was raised.. I have noticed the rich in our community yell like hell if they think they are getting screwed yet it is poor people, working people hard working people who would never not turn in anything as I live right by a police station, in the summer I have turned in cell-phones, bills with the cell phones, gift cards with the cell phones, and photos so I knew who owned the possessions, the gal was the same birthday of my only child and I felt so badly for her I waited at the police station for her Mother to come into to retrieve her possessions, her Mother was crying hard, the young lady just turned 21 and was working 2 jobs to attend and graduate from the junior college in nursing, she offered me money and a ride I said no and to please wish her daughter a happy birthday a blonde like my only child no less..Our only leaves stuff everywhere as the travel a lot people actually in NYC bring her the possessions she leaves in cabs, meetings, etc, we are talking apple computer, her passport, money, gift cards we sent to her, never touch the stuff only to get it to her must be her Karma and our Karma we taught her to promptly return peoples possessions if she finds them and she always does promptly..a Christmas tree farm, well they wrok damn hard since lots of people have plastic trees and you live in the east where Christmas and the holidays are vastly different than the west in our community many Christmas tree farms have gone out of business people are not buying them and their families must find other sources for business..happy Hanukkah and merry new year, Christmas to me is all year long each and everyday if you think of your fellow man and treat them as the good Lord would want you to do so!

Jono said...

Almost restores your faith in humanity. At least for a while.

DJan said...

How wonderful! I'm glad for you and happy that everybody in the family benefits. :-)

Linda Myers said...

I was pretty sure your camera would turn up. You have a way with lost cameras.

Tom said...

Thank you, Cindi, for putting in a good word with Santa. And thank you to everyone else for your good thoughts and words.

priscilla said...

Leave it to a New Englander to do the right thing!! Very nice.

Sally Wessely said...

That is fabulous. I'm so glad someone found it and turned it in.

I'm finally done with my writing class and so have time for blogging again. I've missed reading all your news.

Merry Christmas.

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

Your wonderful story renews my faith in the honest of most people! Your tree, by the way, is beautiful! It looks like you're all ready for a memorable Christmas!