"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Let's Hear It for Summer!

     Welcome to summer . . . to those of us north of the Equator.

     Laura Lee Carter is blogging today, wishing everyone a Happy Summer Solstice, which, as she reminds us, heralds the beginning of summer in the Northern Hemisphere. This year the solstice also happens to occur on Father's Day. She hopes the arrival of summer will offer an opportunity for fathers and families everywhere to venture outside today (and maybe get some healthy exercise). And for inspiration she offers some photos of Colorado wildflowers gone wild.

Colorado wildflowers
     But as a warning to those of you planning to phone your fathers today, Rita Robison of The Survive and Thrive Boomer Guide reports that the FCC Plans to Fine AT&T $100 Million for misleading customers about unlimited data plans. The Federal Communications Commission alleges that AT&T severely slowed down the data speeds for those with unlimited plans, and that the company didn't notify customers that they could receive speeds slower than those AT&T advertised.

     I don't use a lot of data myself, so this wouldn't affect me (I have a Verizon plan anyway); but it does seem to me that any company ought to be straightforward with its customers. Regardless, I hope I don't hear that excuse from my own kids about why they couldn't call me on Father's Day!

     Meanwhile, Meryl Baer of Six Decades and Counting offers up a tribute to her dad, who grew up in the Depression, served in World War II, made a career in advertising, and by all accounts, proved to be a great father and grandfather. She recalls some nice memories in Happy Birthday and Happy Father's Day, Dad, who, as she says, "Is not around anymore to celebrate with us, but his spirit is."

     Finally, in her blog Smart Living365 Kathy Gottberg says that she doesn't know any woman who doesn't care, at least a little bit, about how she looks to others. But hopefully, she continues, "By the time we get to our age, we care less about how other people judge us, and equally important, we stop letting the opinions of others make critical life decisions for us."

     That sentiment led to her recent decision to purchase and wear hearing aids, which, she says, is, "One of those moments when my perception of myself changed."

     For an account of her whole life-changing experience check out Do My Hearing Aids Make Me Look Fat? Which I did, and to which I respond . . . Kathy, you don't look fat to me!



6 comments:

DJan said...

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Kathy's blog, very interesting post about hearing aids. :-)

Kathy @ SMART Living 365.com said...

hahahaha! Thanks Tom! I'm so relieved you don't think they make me look fat. Aren't we all so silly about some things like that? I've talked to lots of people since getting my hearing aids and am amazed at how so many of us have perceptions about what looks "old" or what looks "young" when there are so many other things that should be capturing our attention these days (at least IMHO!) I'm far more convinced that our actions make us either young or old and am doing my best to care what anyone things of me either way. Thanks, as always, for the share! ~Kathy

stephen Hayes said...

I'm as vain as the next guy, but I don't think wearing hearing aids would trouble me.

Anonymous said...

We had no spring and summer is awful when June is as bad as July. I like fall best and spring when we have it. My tomatoes are almost ripe, however.

Linda Myers said...

Thanks, Tom, for the referral to Kathy's blog.

Unknown said...

Hi Tom, great blog!

I'm trying to connect semi-retired and retired professionals with part-time job opportunities. Any chance you can write a blog about us? We'd be happy to return the love to you as well! You can check out our website at www.excellara.com. You can reach me at lauren@excellara.com. I look forward to chatting with you!