"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Down by the River

     One byproduct of self-isolating is often weight gain, since we're stuck at home with not much to do except sit around and be a couch potato while we watch a screen, read a book, send emails and texts, cook and eat . . .  and then do it all over again.

     Still, most of us are probably trying to get beyond these sedentary activities, since they do get old after a week or two. We try to figure out ways to not only pass the time while we self-isolate, but also to do something reasonably refreshing, meaningful and healthful.

View of New Hope from the bridge

     I have not yet come up with a better idea than to take a walk -- practicing, of course, safe distancing all the way.

Looking down the river ... Philadelphia is about 40 miles south

     I live in a small city in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. But a few miles to the east is the even smaller, but better-known town of New Hope, PA, located on the Delaware River.

Crossing the state line midway on the bridge

     The other day I drove over to New Hope and took a walk around. I actually went across the river and parked in the sister town of Lambertville, NJ, then walked back across the bridge to New Hope.


French pastries
"Moo" Hope ... get it?
     New Hope is usually crowded with people. But today the stores were closed. Only a couple of restaurants were open, offering take-out only. The streets were not completely empty, but they looked bare compared to the usual buzz of activity.

Restaurant in old church

Sign in restaurant
      The pride and joy of New Hope is the Bucks County Playhouse which hosts live theatrical performances, occasional music programs, poetry readings and other events. Last fall B and I went to see Sally Struthers in Always ... Patsy Cline. Yes, Sally Struthers from the old sit-com All in the Family. She is much older now. But she was hilarious. She still has her comic chops.

Bucks County Playhouse

     New Hope has a lot of history. Washington crossed the Delaware only a few miles south of here. Back then the village was called Coryell's Ferry.

House from late 1700s, made of characteristic Pennsylvania fieldstone

     But now it's better known as a funky, artsy place that draws tourists, day trippers, and motorcycle clubs from New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia and other parts of the Northeast. And there are at least a few attractions aside from the bars and restaurants -- a children's museum, an historic railroad, several parks and a host of art galleries.

Acupuncture, of course
Irish pub
     There's also a canal that runs along either side of the river, one on the Pennsylvania side, one on the New Jersey side. They were once used to haul coal barges. Now they feature a walking and biking path.

    And so on the way back to my car, instead of walking through town, I cut along the canal tow path for a few blocks. I noticed a duck paddling along . . . practicing, of course, safe distancing all the way.


Duck enjoying the canal

16 comments:

DJan said...

What a lovely post. It's filled with serenity, which is in short supply these days. Thank you, Tom. I read that most of us will be fighting the Covid-19 Fifteen (pounds, that is). :-)

Pam said...

My husband and I look forward to several walks every day, when weather permits. It seems to have a grounding effect on us. We might be dismayed over the daily news, but when we're outdoors, we are surrounded by the familiar sights and sounds of our little farm. What a blessing it is that springtime will not be affected by corona virus! Lovely photos, Tom. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Retirement Wisdom said...

Tom,
Great post as always and timely advice.
It's so helpful to get out in nature as often as we can.
We live in NJ (we lived in Newtown for 6 years) and get to New Hope often. Bucks County is a beautiful place - we plan to move back relatively soon.
The towpath is a great place to walk!
I always look forward to your posts.
Thanks for this,
Joe Casey (Retirement Wisdom)

Friko said...

For me exercise now means gong for solitary walks and a bit of gardening. strange to say, I am well aware what a sedentary lifestyle means for me so I am eating carefully. I am actually eating less chocolate because I can’t just send someone to the shops for it, can I now? So I am self isolating and self rationing!

Tabor said...

I like to see that America can be quaint like Britain. What a lovely area and you are lucky to be so close.

Carol Cassara said...

Aren't you lucky to have such an interesting place nearby!

Celia said...

That stone house is lovely. I had been walking but found two old DVD's in my stash, one is easy yoga and the other is standing exercises to music although I turn the sound off and play my own music, salsa. Great post.

Arkansas Patti said...

What a lovely walk you had and I liked your duck partner:) Aren't you glad there wasn't an army guarding the NJ line.
Today just getting out can make us feel almost normal. I took a ride today just for that normal feel and to enjoy the Red Bud and Dogwood in full bloom.

Barbara said...

So jealous. I have been thinking of doing something similar but I wasn't sure if it made sense. Now that I see I am not the only person thinking like this, I just might try a little day trip. Thanks for sharing. It is so good to see something new.

Tom said...

I sure do hope that self-isolation will continue to allow us to go outside and take a walk, get some fresh air and a little exercise. Unfortunately, near us they have closed most of the parks and trails. But our main park is still open, for walking only (no sports, no playground, no gatherings), and I don't see how they can ever close the streets. Hopefully, in a few months, this will be just a dim, dark memory.

Rian said...

... a dim dark memory? Oh, Tom, I so hope you are right. DH and I are sheltering at home. But it may take a while to flatten the curve... and even then, it may be quite a while before people can think of relaxing their vigilance.

Wisewebwoman said...

I love that gorgeous old house. Lovely that you can get out and walk. I may try that soon, not as easy as you'd think as I am convinced some in my building may be infected. Lockdown came far too late and then the oldies were still going out and in. Grrrr.

Thanks for the lovely tour.

XO
WWW

gigi-hawaii said...

New Hope looks like a nice place to visit and stroll through.

Olga said...

Such a quaint area -- I enjoyed the virtual stroll.

jono said...

A few more miles down the river past Philly would get you to Wilmington which is where I spent most of my first 18 years. Farther down the Delaware Bay you will find many beaches one of which is where I spent my summers. There are plenty of interesting places to walk as I hope many of us are able to find out.

Barb said...

Lovely. Unfortunately we are not supposed to be driving and many parks have been closed becaue too many people congregate. We are allowed to walk in our home area and to drive only to places like groceries and drs offices.