Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Words of Wisdom

     Warren Buffett is chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, a hugely successful conglomerate of businesses and corporate interests based in Omaha, Neb. In preparation for the annual meeting of the company, to be held in May, Buffett last week published his annual letter to shareholders (here are highlights if you don't want to see the whole thing), which has become a kind of bible for long-term stock investors.

My favorite Berkshire product: See's candy
     Warren Buffett has made millions and billions for himself and his fellow investors. But even he is not perfect. For example, he admitted recently that he drinks five Cokes a day. He owns a lot of shares of Coca-Cola, and so he is essentially buying from himself, but the average health expert would be aghast if you told her you drink five Cokes a day. Yet there's nothing average about Warren Buffett -- he's 83 years old and still going strong, despite the overdose of high fructose corn syrup he pours down his throat every day.

     So maybe you don't want to take health advice from the so-called Oracle of Omaha. But you know he's doing something right, certainly in business and probably in life as well. Here are a few samples of the wit and wisdom of Warren Buffett:

     On the stock market:  "The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But, unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do."

     On his company's bare-bones bureaucracy:  "A compact organization lets all of us spend our time managing the business rather than managing each other."

     On trust but verify:  "All managements say they're acting in the shareholders' interests. What you'd like to do as an investor is hook them up to a machine and run a polygraph to see whether it's true."

     On administrative bloat:  "Managers who want to expand their domain at the expense of owners might better consider a career in government."

     On government regulation:  "There are significant limits to what regulation can accomplish. People continue to do foolish things no matter what the regulation is, and they always will."

     On investor thinking:  "Man's natural inclination is to cling to his beliefs, particularly if they are reinforced by recent experience -- a flaw in our makeup that bears on what happens during bull markets and extended periods of stagnation."

     On opportunity:  "A true investor welcomes volatility because a wildly fluctuating market means that irrationally low prices will periodically be attached to solid businesses."
A collection of Buffett articles

     On emotions:  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies ... If they insist on trying to time their participation in equities they should be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."

     On expectations:  "You and I can sell each other stocks at higher and higher prices. You personally might outsmart the next fellow ... but bear in mind that investors as a whole cannot get anything out of their businesses except what the businesses earn."

     On bad businesses:  "When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact."

     On inheritance:  "The perfect amount to leave children is enough money so they would feel they could do anything, but not so much that they could do nothing."

     On philanthropy:  "In my own case, 99%-plus of my wealth will go back to society, because I've been treated extraordinarily well by society."

   

12 comments:

DJan said...

I have always admired Warren Buffett. I had no idea he downed five Cokes a day! Surely he hasn't been doing that all his life... has he? Nice quotes, Tom. Thanks for the peek into his thinking processes. :-)

Linda Myers said...

We went to the shareholders meeting in Omaha three years ago. What a fascinating day that was!

Anonymous said...

I greatly admire Warren Buffet and not because he is such an extraordinary businessman, it is because of his philanthropic work and the way he humbly lives. I will not take any dietary inspiration from him though. Not only does he drink all that soda, but he eats McDonalds every day. I guess we're not all perfect - and thank goodness!

Stephen Hayes said...

Whatever it is he's eating and drinking seems to be serving him quite well.

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

He must have great genes. I would be dead if I consumed five cokes per day....Still looking for the candy.

Dick Klade said...

What a good guy. Wonder how many health food companies he promotes as good investments?

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

He's very wise, especially with regard to the inheritance he plans to leave his children -- even so that they can do anything but not enough that they can do nothing. I didn't know that See's candy is owned by Berkshire. OMG! That's my favorite brand of candy -- mostly available in the West, I think. He must have great genes to eat what he does and drink five Cokes a day. I don't think most of us could get away with that health-wise!

Kirk said...

I own some shares in Berkshire through a managed account. I might think about going to Omaha one of these years.

Anonymous said...

I love Warren Buffet, he lives in the same home he bought many years ago, drives an older car, his suits have seen many years. He lives in Omaha his birth town, he gives generously to all the schools and business with no thought of thanks whatsoever, what a guy, if I had invested in Berkshire Hathaway years ago I would be retired in style no money to invest, but I think him a true visionary and a loyal American with a big heart!

Anonymous said...

i want to share my wonderful testimony on how i got back the love of my life who i sworn to be with until when he left me to another woman for no reason and i try to make things work for both of us yet things where getting worse and i love him so much and there is nothing i could do to get him back until i met a testimony share by Maria from Iceland on the internet talking about a powerful spell caster who brought his ex lover back within 72hours and i decide to give it a try and to my greatest surprise he also did it for me just as he did for Maria and i have a lot of people complaining of fake spell caster but this one i met was a real spell caster who help me to solve my problem i have no solution to and there is nothing like been with the man you love from heart am so happy my love is back to me with the help of DR. IKHINE the powerful spell caster contact him on agbadado@gmail.com or call him on +2347060552255 for quick response just as he respond to me THANK YOU DR. IKHINE FOR HELPING ME SOLVE MY PROBLEM.

Anonymous said...

My name is Bose and I base in Spain...“My life is
back!!! After 14 years of Broken marriage, my
husband left me and our two twins . I felt like my
life was about to end i almost committed suicide, i
was emotionally down for a very long time.
Thanks to a spell caster called Dr Ronaldo which i
met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing
through the internet, I was searching for a good
spell caster that can solve my problems. I came
across alot of testimonies about this particular
spell caster. Some people testified that he
brought their Ex lover back, some testified that
he restores womb,cure cancer,and other
sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to
stop divorce and so on. i also come across one
particular testimony,it was about a woman called
Sonia,she testified about how Dr Ronaldo brought
back her Ex lover in less than 7 days and reverse
the effect of their little boys cancer, and at the
end of her testimony she dropped Dr. Ronaldo's e-
mail address. After reading all these,I decided to
give Dr Ronaldo
a try. I contacted him via email and explained my
problem to him. In just 3 days, my husband came
back to me. We solved our issues, and we are
even happier than before. Dr Ronaldo is really a
gifted man and i will not stop publishing him
because he is a wonderful man... If you have a
problem and you are looking for a real and
genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for
you. Try Dr Ronaldo anytime, he might be the
answer to your problems. Here's his contact:
{Ronaldospelltemple@gmail.com}.or by
phone :+2348110038610 Thank you Dr Ronaldo

Alex said...

BE CAREFUL HERE NOBODY CAN HELP YOU HERE OR EVEN SUGGEST HOW YOU CAN GET YOUR EX OR LOVE BACK,ANY TESTIMONIES OF MOST SPELL CASTER HERE MUST BE IGNORE.BECAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE SCAM I MEAN REAL SCAM WHICH I WAS A VICTIM AND I GOT RIPPED OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS BECAUSE I WAS SO ANXIOUS TO GET MY WIFE BACK AFTER SHE LEFT ME FOR OVER 2 YEARS WITH MY 7 YEARS OLD SON JERRY,I HAVE APPLIED TO 7 DIFFERENT SPELL CASTER HERE AND ALL TO NO AVAIL THEY ALL ASK FOR SAME THING SEND YOUR NAME YOUR EX NAME ADDRESS AND PICTURE PHONE NUMBER ETC WHICH I DID OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND MOST OF THEM WERE FROM WEST AFRICA UNTIL I
SAW A POST ABOUT MAMA ANITA SPELL AND I DECIDED TO GAVE HER MY LAST TRAIL.SHE ASK ME FOUR THINGS MY REAL NAME,MY EX AND MY EX MOTHER NAME AND $180 AND SAID MY EX WILL COME BACK IN 24HOURS, I HAVE PAID OVER $3000 ON SPELL CASTING AND COURIER AND NOTHING HAVE WORK FOR ME AFTER 3 DAYS I WAS THINKING ABOUT HOW MUCH I HAVE LOST SO FAR SO I SAID LET ME GIVE HER A TRY SO I CALLED HER AGAIN AND SEND MY REAL NAME,MY EX AND MY EX MOTHER NAME AND THE $180 BECAUSE I SWEAR IT WAS MY LAST TRY SO I WAS WAITING AS SHE TOLD ME TO WAIT TILL NEXT DAY AND I COULD NOT SLEEP THAT NIGHT BECAUSE I REALLY LOVE MY WIFE AND WANT HER BACK AT 9PM THAT DAY I SAW MY WIFE ON LINE ON FACE BOOK AND SHE SAID HI AT FIRST I WAS SHOCK BECAUSE SHE NEVER TALK WITH ME FOR THE PAST A YEAR AND 9 MONTH NOW I DID NOT REPLY AGAIN SHE SAID ARE YOU THERE? I QUICKLY REPLY YES AND SHE SAID CAN WE SEE TOMORROW I SAID YES AND SHE WENT OFF-LINE I WAS CONFUSED I TRY TO CHAT HER AGAIN BUT SHE WAS NO MORE ON LINE I COULD NOT SLEEP THAT NIGHT AS I WAS WONDERING WHAT SHE IS GOING TO SAY, BY 7.AM THE NEXT MORNING SHE GAVE ME A MISS CALL I DECIDED NOT TO CALL BACK AS I WAS STILL ON SHOCK AGAIN SHE CALL AND I PICK SHE SAID CAN WE SEE AFTER WORK TODAY I SAID YES SO SHE END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY I GOT OFF WORK SHE CALL ME AND WE MEET AND NOW WE ARE BACK AGAIN I CALL MAMA ANITA THE NEXT DAY THANKING HER FOR WHAT SHE HAS DONE IN FACT I STILL CALL HER AND THANK HER AS MY LIFE WAS NOT COMPLETE WITHOUT MY WIFE PLEASE BE CAREFUL HERE I HAVE BEEN SCAM THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IF YOU WANT A TRUE LOVE SPELL THEN CONTACT MAMA ANITA (mama.anitatruelovespell@gmail.com)