"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Will This Diet Save Your MIND?

     We went to the Charleston Crab House for dinner last night with some friends. I had a side salad (more on that later) and a dish with scallops and mahi mahi. B had grilled shrimp. There's something about being on the beach that makes you want to eat seafood.

     Honestly, my initial exposure to seafood was not a good one. I grew up Catholic, and back then Catholics were not allowed to eat meat on Fridays. My mother was never particularly interested in cooking, so in our family we had fishsticks or some other kind of breaded fish from the freezer.

     My father was not Catholic, so while he usually ate fish on Fridays along with the rest of the family, sometimes my mother served him a hamburger instead. When we kids complained about that, he'd tell us that fish was good for us. It was brain food. And he wanted us to grow up to be smart and successful.

     How smart we all became is up for debate. But whatever intellectual failings we suffered, it wasn’t for lack of fish. And now, despite my troubled introduction to seafood, I like fish . . . especially when I'm at the beach.

     Besides, I read recently in the Tufts University "Health & Nutrition Letter" that my dad was right. At least in certain circumstances, seafood is indeed brain food. Researchers from Tufts University, in a nine-year study of close to 500 older adults, found that those consuming the most fish – three servings a week – were at significantly lower risk of developing dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.

     Another researcher, Martha Clare Morris of the Rush University Memory and Aging Project, concluded that people who “consumed fish once a week or more had a 60 percent less risk of Alzheimer’s disease compared with those who rarely or never ate fish.”

     One concern about fish is the levels of mercury in seafood. Researchers did find that those who consumed a lot of fish had higher levels of mercury in their brains. But there was no evidence that higher mercury levels had any negative effects on older people.

     Morris has now come up with a full anti-Alzheimer's diet, called the MIND Diet, which stands for Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay. (As if that's not enough of a mouthful, DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension.)

     The MIND Diet is designed to reduce the risk of dementia, as well as heart disease and diabetes. The diet recommends consuming lots of fish and poultry. It also says (here's where the side salad comes in) that we should eat leafy green vegetables like salads, and other vegetables, as well as whole grains, berries, beans, and an occasional glass of wine. Meanwhile, it cautions us to avoid butter, cheese, red meat, fried foods and sweets. The claim is that this diet can lower our risk of Alzheimer's by 50 percent if we follow it strictly, and by a third even if we only follow it (ahem) half-heartedly.

     Pregnant and breastfeeding women and young children are still advised to limit their consumption of fish high in mercury – especially tilefish, shark, swordfish, mackerel and white (albacore) tuna. But for older adults the benefits of seafood far outweigh the risks from mercury. And as the MIND Diet suggests, the benefits are not limited to the brain. The American Heart Association advises consuming at least two meals a week with seafood.

     However, it seems that supplements of fish oil or omega-3s do not necessarily offer the same benefits. One five-year trial of more than 3000 participants reported no benefits from omega-3 supplements. Apparently the process of how fish benefits our brains and our bodies is more complicated than just delivering a dose of omega-3s.

     So eat up your fish, with some vegetables and maybe a glass of wine. I don't recommend the fishsticks. But the scallops and mahi mahi are fine.

15 comments:

gigihawaii said...

Well, good luck on the seafood diet. I eat salmon about once per week.

Retirement Confidential said...

I lived in Mt. Pleasant years ago. I miss the soft shell crabs!

About the diet. After my first experience with cancer, I got tons of advice. Eat this, don't eat that. I gave it all careful consideration and then decided most diets are about a quest for control. If we do this, then that won't happen. Except life doesn't work like that. So you add all this stress not eating what you really want, and where does that get you? I chose food. We cook at home and focus on making everything from scratch -- few packages or preservatives -- some of it high in fat but real food nonetheless. Whatever happens, happens.

DJan said...

There is a strong genetic component to getting dementia, too. I suspect that there are benefits to eating fish (I consider myself a pescatarian, eating fish but avoiding all other forms of flesh). I have a genetic predisposition towards high cholesterol and heart disease. I exercise and eat best I can and so far, so good. I will look at that book, though; it looks interesting. :-)

Jono said...

Spending summers of my youth on the Delaware beaches gave me regular fish and other seafood in my diet. My brother was particularly good at bringing home some blue claw crabs about once a week. Even though I live in the middle of the continent I eat seafood at least once a week if not twice.

Tom said...

Well, there's nothing certain in life, but it's all about improving the odds, and consuming a healthy diet definitely tilts the probabilities in our favor . . . and so does having healthy long-lived parents.

Dr Sock said...

Well, I do eat plenty of fish, poultry, leafy greens, veggies, berries, whole grains, some beans, and some red wine. However, I also eat cheese and butter, some red meat, and probably too much sugar. I has been easier for me to add more of the “good” stuff than to to cut out most of the “bad” stuff.

Jude

Tabor said...

I am like Dr Sock. I can avoid the fried foods and I am slowly trying to limit my salt and sugar intake. I get lots of veggies and fruits thought.Unfortunately with all the pesticides and coliforms in the water, you never know how save even good food is.

DUTA said...

Most people (me included)like fish and eat fish . It's good food depending on how it's prepared. But like other foods it's just the fuel we need to make us function, nothing more (there's no brain food, eye food, heart food).

If we want more, we have to take supplements like Omega 3, garlic gels etc... Supplements contain the active ingredients of a product and act better than meds, without the damages of meds.Dementia and Alzheimer are triggered by meds and enhanced by stress.

Kathy @ SMART Living 365.com said...

Hi Tom! Good for you and B for making fish a big part of your diet. I grew up in a family where my mom thought the only "safe" fish was fishsticks (she was terrified of bones) and like you I had to gradually change my taste buds through the years. I do like fish much better now but I don't always pick it as a first choice. I have also read lots of advice about what to eat to stay healthy (mentally and physically) and agree there is much we can do. But if we try to do everything that is recommended we can make ourselves crazy. It tend to lean toward the moderation diet. Most everything is okay as long as it is in moderation--and so far it is working for me! ~Kathy

Olga said...

I love good fresh wild caught fish and seafood. I haven't had fish sticks for years, but I don't remember hating them. My mother was a great cook and we had delicious Friday meals that did not include what she would have considered, ahead of her time, fake food. I am suspicious of fish I never heard of before that has all of sudden popped up everywhere. Tilapia? Swai? Not a chance that's going in my mouth.

Wisewebwoman said...

Interesting this Tom. My parents were the same except it was fresh caught fish on Fridays, sold directly off the boats in the harbour. That was for brain. Carrots were for eyesight and the "heels" of bread were for curly hair, a much desired trait when I was young. My sister won that one, not me.

We eat a lot of catch out here on the Edge. Nothing like fresh caught cod.

XO
WWW

Diane Dahli said...

I love fish, and when we first moved to the West Coast years ago, my husband and son went out every few days to catch salmon—the 'king' of all fish! So we feasted on it for many years, but I began to question eating that much fish after reports of mercury in fish came out. I cut it back, but still enjoy all varieties of fish.

mason jassem said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mason jassem said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kumkum said...

Diet should be healthy to save the teeth. Excess consumption of sugar and soft drinks are very harmful for teeth. So regular consultation with the dentists can save the teeth. Dental Discount Plans TN can be helpful to get discount in dental treatment.