"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, February 25, 2023

Outsmarted by Artificial Intelligence?

     Have you heard about ChatGPT, a user friendly application of Artificial Intelligence? You're supposed to be able to ask any question, and it will write an essay that gives you a cogent answer that is accurate and reasonably comprehensive. Or as the website says, it "is trained to follow an instruction in a prompt and provide a detailed response."

     So I decided to try it out. I made a simple request:  Explain how the world is different today compared to 1970. Here is the response:

The world today is vastly different from the world in 1970 in several ways. Some of the key differences include:

  1. Technological advancements: One of the most significant differences between the world today and 1970 is the level of technological advancement. Today, we have smartphones, the internet, social media, artificial intelligence, and many other technological innovations that were not even imagined in 1970.

  2. Globalization: The world has become much more connected and interdependent since 1970. This is largely due to globalization, which has led to increased trade, investment, and cultural exchange between countries.

  3. Environmental concerns: In the past 50 years, there has been growing awareness of the impact of human activity on the environment. This has led to efforts to reduce carbon emissions, protect natural resources, and mitigate the effects of climate change.

  4. Demographic changes: The world's population has grown significantly since 1970, from around 3.7 billion to over 7.9 billion. There have also been significant demographic shifts, such as an aging population and increasing cultural diversity.

  5. Social and political changes: The past 50 years have seen significant social and political changes, including the fall of the Soviet Union, the rise of China as a global superpower, the end of apartheid in South Africa, and the advancement of civil rights for marginalized groups, such as women and the LGBTQ+ community.

  6. Economic changes: The global economy has also undergone significant changes since 1970. Many countries have transitioned from industrial economies to service-based economies, and there has been a rise in the importance of technology and innovation.

  7. Overall, the world today is vastly different from the world in 1970 in terms of technology, globalization, environmental concerns, demographic changes, social and political changes, and economic changes.

     So how do you think it did? I've heard people say that high school and college students have asked ChatGPT to write an essay for them . . . and the teachers can't tell the difference between a student essay and an AI essay. Based on the above essay, do you agree? How would you grade this answer?
 
     Or . . . what if I asked it to summarize the plot of Great Expectations, or give me a brief history of the American Civil War. But when I asked my wife B about it, she just gave me a look and replied, "Why don't you just look it up on Wikipedia?"

11 comments:

Kay said...

Oh boy! This makes life REALLY hard for teachers. What to do? What to do? I only taught 1st grade so wouldn't have to worry about this. I think.

Anvilcloud said...

Fun punchline to a concerning topic. As a former educator, I am not overjoyed by this. I think Deep Fake will become more and more problematic, and it’s concerning enough already.

Rian said...

I think the answer to your question was well 'thought' out and written. But I have to say that although I'm impressed by the idea of AI, it does scare me a bit... like so many other possible advancements, it could go awry.

Ed said...

I think it writes sort of ho-hum answers. Nothing terribly exciting or inciteful. If I were a teacher, I wouldn't sweat the invention of this device. It is quite easy to go back to the "What did you do this summer?" essay question that ChatGPT will never understand. But if my living was to write a news article for publication or an advertisement for broadcasting, I would be more worried about the future of my job.

gigi-hawaii said...

I think that's so amazing. Now people won't have to think for themselves.

RI1 said...

This is also going to change the lives of writers, authors, journalists and yours truly, fellow bloggers. I have used CHAT a few times in my blog to better explain what I mean or am trying to say. CHAT hasn't failed me yet.

Tom said...

Ha, ha, I like Gigi's answer the best. But I agree with Ed, the answers are kind of ho-hum. However, I do worry what will happen a few years down the line. Will writers, journalists and teachers lose their jobs? Will AI go awry, or somehow contribute to even more false narratives? I'm still optimistic (sometimes against all odds) that human intelligence will prevail in the end.

Anonymous said...

I've never felt threatened by AI because it will never overcome natural stupidity.

River said...

I think having this program available is like cheating. The student doesn't have to think or research and probably half the class will turn in the exact same paper, so if the teacher can't tell it is from a program, then she isn't properly trained.

River said...

@Ed: "inciteful"? Really? 'insightful' please.

Marian @ the Retired Alchemist said...

Hi Tom!
I am glad I found my way to your blog. I am enjoying your tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. AI fascinates me. I taught college for 15 years prior to retiring. After reading your AI essay, I am confident that it could write a better paper than over 50% of college students. Matter of fact, depending on the student, it might make me suspect it was plagiarized! Thanks for an interesting post.