"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, October 27, 2018

The Dark Side

     My wife B is just the sweetest, nicest, most innocent person you could imagine. She's friendly, with a sunny disposition, and always thinks the best of everyone. But then as October rolls around and the weather turns cooler, and the nights grow longer, she goes and arranges this display in front of our house.


     Just goes to show you. There's a dark side to everyone. But she is not the only one in town who finds herself seduced by the Halloween spirit. Down the street we have a ghost hanging from the front porch.


     And a little farther along the spiders have been at work.


     A lone watch-skeleton stands guard at this house . . .


     While it seems some rather strange entities are having a party in this neighborhood.


     Perhaps it's a wake for this poor person . . .


     But not all is scary this October. B put up a pretty wreath on the fence gate in our side yard.


     And look at this display. No ghouls or goblins at this house. These people live on the sunny side of the street.


18 comments:

DJan said...

I love it all! I am happy to see that your SO has a dark side. She has always seemed so adorable! :-)

DUTA said...

I like all the photos. Very good Halloween display!
Well, the nicest the person, the the most dark side he/she might have. Beware! LOL.

tahoegirl.blog said...

I think it is cool she does this. We used to go all out decorating for Halloween when our kids were younger. My son especially loved all things Halloween. One year we draped black plastic over two patio umbrellas and then decorated the inside with skulls and other ghoulish things. We even did the fog machine too. Thankfully all that is over and all I do now is stick some pumpkins out and like B put a fall wreath on the door.

Jennifer said...

I love it all! What fun!

Olga said...

I am a holiday decorations minimalist generally and I have no attachment to Halloween at all for some reason. I like seeing the kind of decorations you have shown here -- in somebody else's yard.

Red said...

Awesome Halloween display.

Kathy @ SMART Living 365.com said...

Hi Tom! Good for B. We all need a little distraction and amusement in our lives right now. It would be great if the scariest thing going on these days were like our decorations! ~Kathy

Sally Wessely said...

It’s always fun to see the variety of decorations that appear around Halloween.

Celia said...

Looks like a fun neighborhood. I like B's creation.

Jono said...

The corners of B's mind may be darker than imagined at this very scary time of year. I'd sleep with one eye open if I were you! 😊

Tom said...

Oh DUTA and Jono and others, don't worry. I'm perfectly safe. Wait ... there's a knock at the door. I hear the door creaking open. Why is someone coming in? The wind outside is howling. Footsteps on the stairs. The bare tree branches scratch at my window. Then the lights flicker. I hear a screech. And then ... oh, no problem. It's just B coming home with her friends Michael Myers and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Diane Dahli said...

Stay safe this Halloween, Tom! Don't get too close to the goblins and skeletons—you just can't trust them! Kudos to B for her sense of fun!

gigihawaii said...

I don't have the Halloween spirit at all. In fact, we don't open the door to give out treats.

Barbara said...

I'm all for fall decorations. I put up Halloween for the Grand Girls but it won't be for much longer. I try to buy my decorations at the dollar store so that I only spend a little and don't feel bad if I toss them or donate them at the end of the season.

Janis said...

Halloween is my favorite holiday! I love all the creepy decorations and costumes. What fun!

Savoring Sixty said...

Love the Halloween spirit in your neighborhood....great decorations!

Dr Sock said...

Okay, the thing that really grabs me is the little skeleton dog with the leash. What a great sense of humour B must have!

Jude

Rebecca Olkowski said...

I tend to like the funny, clever Halloween decorations rather than the gory ones. I've seen some good ones this year. Loved a skeleton that had a robe on and empty beer cans with a sign that said, "I liked beers. I always liked beers."