"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Put the Glass Down

     I ran across this story, via a friend of mine, on the Sun Gazing facebook page. They suggested sharing it, so I'm sharing it.

     A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they’d be asked the “half empty or half full” question.

     Instead, she smiled and inquired, “How heavy is this glass of water?”

     Answers ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

     The psychologist paused for effect, then replied, “The absolute weight doesn’t matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it doesn't feel heavy at all. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass hasn't changed, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.”


     She continued, “The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – and incapable of doing anything.”

     It's important to let go of your stresses. When the day is done, put down your burdens. Don’t carry them through the evening and worry about them all night. Remember to put the glass down!

11 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

We're getting tired of hearing it, but those Brits had a point: Keep clam and carry on.

Linda Myers said...

A couple of offspring and friends have heavy issues right now. I have listened and then put it down. My carrying these things isn't going to have any effect whatsoever.

Douglas said...

Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy......

Bobby McFerrin


Rosaria Williams said...

So wise!

Meryl Baer said...

Great common sense, simple advice.

Olga said...

I tend to worry, but I also tend to have a short attention span so that helps.

DJan said...

Very, VERY well said, Tom. I will take your advice and put the damn glass down. Once it's empty, that is. :-)

baju muslim said...

It’s exactly what I was looking for!nice job for posting this.

schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

I am happy to see you let go of your stresses (i assume) by posting to your blog. Dianne

Lorna said...

I am definitely going to try to do this. By the way, it is hell on my eyes to figure out what those non robot words are that I have to copy.

~Lorna
_______________________________________


Halina Goldstein said...

This is a wise observation! But then again - you cannot always put that glass down just like that:

I read a lot of stories from widows these days, and usually it takes months or years before they can do it. It's like the glass is glued to your hand (and your shoulders and your heart)... So what do you do?

It might help to share the content of it with others. Talk with peers or a mentor, write a journal. Let it flow so that it doesn't just stay in the glass...