"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Friday, May 18, 2012

You Knew I Never Had a Chance

     I admit, it was a long shot right from the get go. So, now, gracefully I cede my ground and deliver the dinosaur bookcase to someone who . . . who will appreciate it.

     But not before I tell you, when I delivered the bookcase, Leslie, the Goodwill store manager, walked out the front door -- she must have seen me coming -- and she was clapping her hands and wore a huge smile on her face. "Oh, I love it!" she enthused.

     I pointed out some of its merits but conceded that not everyone liked the bookcase.

The dinosaur arrives
 
     "Oh, I don't like it," she replied. "I love it. I'm not even sure if I'm going to sell it; I'll bring it to the back of the store and put my children's books on it."

     "Well, I'm glad you like it," I demurred.

     "I don't like it, I love it," she repeated as she signaled to her assistant to carry it inside. I followed her in, took a last look at my bookcase as though it was an endangered species, and said goodbye.

   
My bookcase finds a new home



7 comments:

schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Ha ha, I knew the bookcase would find a good home at Goodwill. Trust me, I know about second homes for husband's beloved belongings. Dianne

Rubye Jack said...

Oh, I love it also!

Retired Syd said...

Well yes she loves it, but that's because she doesn't have to keep it in her home!

Linda Myers said...

It looks like it belongs at the place!

Meryl Baer said...

Remember that old saw - one person's junk is another's treasure. Your junk has found a good home.

Arkansas Patti said...

It is just perfect there. Peace reigns again in the house hold and you do have visiting privileges.

Laura Lee Carter aka the Midlife Crisis Queen said...

LOL!!! I LOVE it too!!!