"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Blogging Boomers and Their Wide Ranging Tastes

     The Boomers are once again cooking up a blog's full of delightful dishes, offering as many specialties as even the hungriest Baby Boomer could possibly want. For starters, the Accidental Locavore reports that she finally got back into the kitchen. What was on the menu? Homemade pastrami from local grass-fed beef. Check it out here.

     (Also, dial into her very cool video clip, where she demonstrates the secrets of preparing zucchini and summer squash.)

     Do you ever wonder what it is like for an American expat to live in the Middle East? See how Katie Foster of "Arabian Tales" explained to her college friends the joys and challenges of "Living In An Islamic Country."

     (She remarks on the similarities between the basic values of Islam and her own Christian belief, and she also explains some of the lesser known aspects of women's rights and marriage.)

     Meanwhile, SoBabyBoomer shines a spotlight on Baby Boomers and entrepreneurship, pointing out that from 1996 to 2011 the number of Baby Boomers starting a business increased by nearly seven percent, the largest increase among all age groups. For people 20-44, the number of people starting a new business actually fell about five percent during that same time period.

     (He also reminds us that in America 10,000 Baby Boomers are turning 65 ... every day! He says it's important to encourage people -- especially those of us who are early retirees -- to continue to work "in ways that truly use their talents to support the economy as well as themselves.")

     Despite the business prospects for Baby Boomers, we all know that as we age few of us will escape either the role of the person in need of extra care or caregiver. Laura Lee wishes to share with you a bit of what she has learned about the natural guilt involved in being a primary caregiver.  

     Finally, Vaboomer wonders:  Are you a confident woman? Whatever your answer, she redefines the concept in a brief but insightful post at her portal to the Boomeranger world.

     As for me, I've been thinking about a few things lately, mostly to do with my health. I had a little scare last week, so I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with . . . hypochrondria. Fortunately.

     (I'll tell you more about that in my next post. But right now I've suddenly developed a strong craving for something from the kitchen. I don't know why. But regardless, I'm going to make myself a pastrami sandwich!)

6 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

I just celebrated (for want of a more accurate term) my 65th and frankly I don't want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member as I've never really felt a party of that group.

That said, I am jonesing for a pastrami sandwich -- and the deli is closed!!! Sigh.

stephen Hayes said...

Hypochondria is the only major disease that isn't funded by a run or telethon .

Linda Myers said...

Welcome to the world of the "worried well"! I've lived here for years.

schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

The pastrami sandwich looks yummy and I will check out he recipe. Thanks for the tip.

10,000 per day huh! We need to behave more like the Japanese i think. Check out 'Musings' blog for a neat story of a trip to Japan.

x said...

Thanks for all the nice words about the pastrami! It's pretty easy to make, just doesn't seem to last very long...

jyothi said...

Thanks for all nice words