"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, October 21, 2023

Choices in Retirement

     For the most part I have stopped bogging because . . . well, because I've gone on to other things. I'm more involved in my local center for learning in retirement. I've taken up pickleball. I still play golf. I do my daily back stretches and leg exercises. 

     My wife and I have noted that as we've gotten older, just taking care of ourselves seems to eat up most of our time. Going for walks, doing our physical therapy, making doctor appointments, brushing and flossing, trying to eat right, getting enough sleep . . . it's exhausting! 

     But the real reason I've cut back on my blog activities is . . . well, I don't know, I just feel like my posts were beginning to repeat themselves. Why go to all the effort just to say what I've already said before?

     However, I still do like to check in on my blogging friends now and then, to see what you all are up to. And I've kept the blog "live" just in case anyone stumbles onto the site and wants to check out my take on "health, finance, retirement, grown-up children and . . . how time flies." Some posts may be dated, but others still seem relevant and may prove helpful to someone, somehow.

     Also, over the years I have collected a number of links to websites that offer information, inspiration, research and entertainment geared to people over age 60. You'll find this list of Retirement Resources down on the right hand side of the blog, below More Grownup Voices. I've found many of these sites to be helpful, and so I encourage you to check them out.

     For travelers there's a link to Roads Scholar and National Geographic. For lifelong learners there's a link to the Osher foundation. Volunteers might find an opportunity through Volunteer Match.

     I also have some of the standard sites for seniors, such as the AARP site, links to the New York Times, U. S. News Retirement and others.

     There are also links to more offbeat sites, like the sometimes-humorous Manopause, which bills itself as a place for "men over 50 and the people who love them." 

     Another interesting site is The Legacy Project run by Karl Pillemer, professor of gerontology at Cornell University. He has interviewed more than 1500 Americans over age 70, and he shares some of their memories, wisdom and advice, all appropriate for the rest of us.

     For those who are academically inclined, I've posted a number of links to universities that sponsor research on aging and retirement. The Center for Retirement Research at Boston College is one well-known resource. There are also research centers at Johns Hopkins, University of Michigan, Stanford, University of South Florida, University of Utah.

     So scroll down on the right to take advantage of this trove of information, all available for free. Meanwhile, if you've run across any other useful websites that will enrich our retirement lives, I hope you'll share them with us.
 
     One more thing. I have been interviewed on the subject of retirement by the podcast Retirement Tips Radio. (Have podcasts taken over blogging?) Anyway, you can find the link at the top of the right-hand column.

     Take care. Still hope to see you around from time to time.

15 comments:

Red said...

You've created a great blog. there's lots of material. I hate to see you quit blogging,.

Linda Myers said...

I blog much less often than I used to. Like you, I'm doing different things now. Taking care of myself physically and mentally. Taking Osher classes live and online. Lunch or coffee with friends in Seattle and Tucson. Serving on a board for a shelter for asylum seekers. Looking at Road Scholar possibilities that will accommodate our older bodies. Still, I look at my blog as a kind of journal, so I'll keep it up for a while longer. It's always good to get a comment on my blog from you, Tom.

Anvilcloud said...

You blog with a definite theme in mind, so I can see that you could run out of topics and ideas.

Ed said...

As someone who has been blogging for 20 years, blogs with a limited scope such as this one, don't run forever and eventually exhaust their topic. Since your scope is fairly wide, I'm sure that is why it has run for 12 years successfully. I just wish I had found it 10 years ago instead of a year ago. There is lots of good information on here.

Anonymous said...

I have been a reader of your blog for the many years. Just want to say thanks for your input over the years. All the best!

Tabor said...

I hope you continue to blog now and again. You always have something useful to write. I blog in some part to keep track of my life and what I have done, thought or begun. I also take periods of time when I am away and not blogging.

ApacheDug said...

I had a feeling this was coming, so I'm not surprised but still sorry to read it. Well Tom I've always enjoyed your blogs--you're a good writer, I hope you don't give it up completely. It's in your blood. :^)

Arlene whitehouse said...

I have always enjoyed your blog and information. I also use your side to access to read other blogs. I hope that continues ! Life does get busy though enjoy!

Carol said...

It is easy to understand falling out of love with a demanding hobby. But still, it is good to hear your voice through your writing when you decide to share! Happy trails!

tahoegirl.blog said...

I've always enjoyed your blogs and have found them useful. maybe come back from time to time to update. You are a good writer which I like too. I blog for myself really. It's an online journal so to speak. Plus living with Myeloma is ongoing and if I can offer a glimpse of hope for someone else, there's that then. Plus living simply and as a minimalist is something I enjoy writng about and oh, I do love cooking.
Thanks Tom,appreciate the blogs you've written.

gigi-hawaii said...

Interesting that you have stopped blogging regularly, especially since you were an editor. I continue to blog 3 times a week, simply because I enjoy the process of writing. I have been writing since I was a little girl and have no desire to stop.

Kay said...

I'm glad you're still keeping your blog active even though you won't be posting a lot anymore. We'll keep an eye out for any more information you might have. I'm glad you're working on keeping yourself active and healthy.

Kathy @ SMART Living 365.com said...

Hi Tom! Long time no chat! I was going through the comments on my blog and noticed I hadn't heard from you in a while and I KNOW I haven't checked in with you either. Glad to hear you are still doing well and staying busy even if you decided to back away from blogging. Me too. I'm not giving up my blog because I still want to be able to post when something interesting comes along but that drive to post regularly has certainly abated! And I also noticed that you have a great list of resources to offer readers. I'm going to give up my "Best Positive Aging & Retirement Blogs" this year as well. Take care of yourself, stay healthy and enjoy life! ~Kathy

Marian @ the Retired Alchemist said...

I will miss your posts and tongue-in-cheek humor, but certainly understand the time commitment of blogging. Everything has a season. Glad you are keeping you site up. I had to laugh when I read your comments about the time it takes just to stay healthy at this point in life. My husband and I have started calling it our part-time job.

Cheers to the retirement years!

Quality Second Innings said...

We expect that you will continue blogging to enrich many persons across the Globe.