"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Saturday, July 1, 2017

My Life in Boxes

     We finally and irrevocably moved last week, leaving on June 22 and arriving on June 23. Two days which will live in ... well, in our memory ... as we suddenly and deliberately pulled up stakes and planted them anew in a foreign land.

Our garage

     Or to put into more practical terms. We put everything we own in boxes. Moved the boxes. And now we have a house full of boxes.

Our dining area

     And we are no longer residents of New York, or Connecticut. We now belong to Pennsylvania, the Keystone state.

     As we get ready to celebrate July 4 we may recall that Pennsylvania is known as the Keystone state because it was the middle colony of the original 13, and it held a key position in the economic, political and social development of the United States. Some of our most important documents were written in Pennsylvania: the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. And later, the Gettysburg address.

Oh, what do you suppose is behind this door?

     But honestly, so far we have not experienced much of Pennsylvania. We have strolled into town several times to sample a few of the local restaurants. Earlier this week B's brother and his wife stopped by on their way home to Massachusetts from North Carolina. The four of us prowled the streets to discover a key ingredient to any top retirement destination:  a good ice cream shop. The next night B and I walked down to the restored arthouse theater to see Beatriz at Dinner (an ambitious but somewhat disappointing movie).

More boxes!

     But now it's back to reality. We're spending the long weekend unpacking boxes. What are you doing for the Fourth?

    

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Picking up my new RV and hitting some RV resorts while planning a month long trek cross country to The Grand Canyon and Zion National Park.
Woo Hoo!

Celia said...

Hosting assorted relatives coming for a wedding tomorrow. Some staying through the 4th. We will pitch our chairs on the edge of a wheat field across from a winery and watch the fireworks.

Congrats on your new home.

Anonymous said...

David saw that movie and said he was shocked at what happened to the heroine. As for July 4, we probably will eat out and listen to classical music.

Tabor said...

Looking forward to other movies. Moving is what keeps your strong, supple, and honest. Take your time. Unpack the essentials, find the doctor and Post Office and hardware store and then begin to breathe.

Tom at Sightings said...

Cindi, Celia and gigi, you're all having a better holiday than I am! Tabor, maybe moving is like having children ... wears you out, but keeps you strong, supple and honest?

Red said...

You've taken on a huge challenge to move yourself. I hope all goes well.

DJan said...

I get tired just looking at those boxes, and they don't have anything to do with me. But I know how much effort it will take to get all that stuff into the new home. For the 4th I will do absolutely nothing, which is what I do for a day off. :-)

stephen Hayes said...

Fortunately, I won't be unpacking boxes on the Fourth. We've been invited to our friends home for a BBQ. I hope you have a terrific holiday.

Still the Lucky Few said...

It's Canada's 150th year celebration, so we're staying close to home—dinner with friends. Later tonight we'll watch the fireworks from our patio, champagne in our wine glasses, since we live across the harbour from our Parliament Buildings—the center of the world as far as we are concerned!I hope you have a swift and efficient unpacking, and feel at home before you know it!

Kathy @ SMART Living 365.com said...

Hi Tom! Congratulations on your move. It is ALWAYS A big deal and the least fun part of the process. But now you are well on your way to putting it behind you. And yes, we saw Beatriz at Dinner too and was also disappointed. There are so many other ways it could have ended rather than the way it did. I didn't need a "happy" ending, but again, there are a number of ways it could have kept with the "theme" without going the way it did. Either way, enjoy your weekend. My Thom and I are at the beach for the month enjoying the cool. ~Kathy

Unknown said...

Tom and Bridget, I live in Lansdale which is only 1/2 hour from you and if you want to experience the HEART of the silk hosiery industry 100 years ago, you can come and visit me. I live in one of the factories.Also put August 26th on your calendar. We have a craft fair, music, and activities all day and FABULOUS fireworks at night. One year we had the New Hope and Ivyland Railroad too.

Olga said...

I don't envy you two and the job ahead, but I wish you happiness in your new home.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh my goodnesss- I couldn't even begin to imagine moving right now. It takes me weeks just to clean out one closet. But how exciting! I wish you an easy unpacking, and I hope you enjoy your new world!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

After 3 moves within 4 years I totally hate packing and unpacking. We are having BD celebrations this weekend and lots of rest in between.

Meryl Baer said...

We are hosting relatives unfortunate enough not to live at the beach...Good luck unpacking. A tiring job, but think about the day in the near future you can sit, relax with a beer or glass of wine, and enjoy your new place.

Marty said...

We're spending it with our son's new in-laws, so I'll be trying to not to do anything embarrassing and watching my husband like a hawk in hopes that doesn't either.
Then I go back to packing boxes because we have a move in the future, although I've got to stop whining about it since it's only 2 miles down Main Street.

joared said...

My daughter's life with boxes mirrors yours as she just downsized from her home on the East Coast and will be spending this weekend unpacking boxes I expect. Had I thought I could be of help, rather than being in the way, I would have journeyed back there. Hope your and her unpacking goes well.

Jono said...

I grew up within walking distance of Pennsylvania, but I usually rode my bike. My step-mother was from Lancaster. Lots of history to experience there, but first you need to deal with all those boxes. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Next year, when your boxes are unpacked, see if they still have the reading of the Declaration of Independence at Washington's Crossing and the Newtown parade. Both events well worth your time!

Barbara said...

Congrats on finally getting Home again. Looking forward to hearing more stories of getting settled in.