"In this sticky web that we're all in, behaving decently is no small task." -- Novelist Stacey D'Erasmo

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fall in to the Baby Boomer Blogs

     Our roundup of Baby Boomer blogs offers a sprinkling of advice, in all forms and colors, like leaves falling from the autumnal trees.

     To begin with, SoBabyBoomer says that when Millennials/GenYers started joining the workforce in the early 2000s, managers balked at parents getting involved in their kids' workplace struggles or job searches. That was then. Now, some firms have begun embracing parental involvement and using it to attract and hold onto talent and boost employee morale.

Helicopter parents     (But, is what today's young worker wants really so different from what we wanted when we started out? Btw, for future reference, here's a thumbnail run-down of the generations:

     The Greatest Generation, aka The G.I. Generation -- Born before the Depression, they fought in World War II, led post-War prosperity, and produced the Baby Boom. Hello Pres. George H. W. Bush.

     The Silent Generation -- Born 1930 - 1945, they were known, at least superficially, for devotion to career, loyalty to family, belief in traditional morals and values. Hello Mad Men.

     Baby Boomers -- Born 1946 - 1964, they are known for their long hair, idealism, political activism, and later on for "selling out" and moving up. Hello Bill Clinton.

     Generation X -- Born 1965 - 1980. The post-Baby-Boomer crowd is supposed to be selfish and cynical, looking for immediate gratification. Hello Punk Rock.

     Generation Y, aka Millennials - Born 1981 - late 1990s. Supposed to be materialistic, self-involved, technologically adept. Hello Apple.)
    
     Anyway, on to more serious things:  Laura Lee Carter, aka the Midlife Crisis Queen, offers an important life lesson in What You Focus on Does Grow. A propos to that, Laura's favorite quote comes from Gloria Steinem:  "Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else."

     Meanwhile, Karen Austin asks:  Did you know that bone health can be measured in three states? Most know about Normal and Osteoporosis. But in 1992, an in-between state termed osteopenia was identified. Karen at The Generation Above Me recently discovered bone weakening lurking in her own bones (as you can, or can't, see in the picture to the left).

     Amy Blitchok, a writer and researcher specializing in issues involving seniors, aging in place and mobility, says that if you are a Baby Boomer (that's me), the good news is that your generation will enjoy the longest life expectancy in history. (Yay!) The bad news? (Oh, I knew this was coming.) Boomers suffer from chronic diseases at about twice the rate of the previous generation. So what gives? The truth is that more people are relying on medications to treat the symptoms of chronic diseases instead of taking preventative measures. Essentially, we are sacrificing quality of life for longevity. Visit Modern Senior to learn Simple Ways to Live Longer AND Better! 

     (Her post includes a cool chart called "Prevent Disease and Grow Old Gracefully." Anyway, I myself do not suffer from diabetes ... and I plead the 5th on obesity!)

     Finally, on The Survive and Thrive Boomer Guide, Rita R. Robison, consumer journalist, writes about a Boomer survey showing that empty nesters want their adult children to move out and move on.

     (So, what would you do if your grownup kids needed some help? Would you rather give them money, no strings attached, or let them move back in with you? I know which way I'd vote.)


5 comments:

stephen Hayes said...

Our thirty-two year old son moved in with us for a year a while back and it didn't work very well. My wife started mothering him like he was a five year old. A few months ago for reasons I won't get into he wanted to return for a few months and I said no. He didn't speak to me for a while but he got over it and we're talking again.

Dick Klade said...

Our son never asked for a thing, although he went through some tough times. Nevertheless, we gave him money with no strings attached.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Not in a million years! I've said that twice, and twice my adult step children and their stinky dog moved in with us. So I guess I'll say "Never Again-- please god, pretty please".

Thanks for the great reading tips.
jj

Anonymous said...

My Daughter and her two kids are living with me now, I can't believe I let this happen.

Barb said...

Its no secret I have a late bloomer who has been unemployed since his two year degree. He is going back to school and looking for a job and trying to start a business to get some income. In my case I prefer to lend the room and the food rather than the cash.