Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wild and Crazy Guy

     I've been a Steve Martin fan going on 40 years now, ever since he showed up with a fake arrow through his head -- which was an old joke even 40 years ago, but somehow the then-young comedian made it funny.

     Remember his song "King Tut"? And the Czechoslovakian brothers? And I still recall his advice on how to become a millionaire, offered on one of his comedy albums.  Step one, he said . . . Get a lot of money.

     He is truly a renaissance comedian. His writing in The New Yorker and elsewhere has been uneven, and some of his movies are admittedly better than others. I'm sure you have your favorites. One of mine is Bowfinger (1999) co-starring Eddie Murphy, in which Martin plays the washed-up movie director who shoots a film around a big star who doesn't even know he's in the movie. Another is Father of the Bride (1991), a remake of the Hepburn/Tracy classic. He was funny, and as a father myself, I can tell you he played the part perfectly.

     Anyway, I recently ran across this clip from -- where else? -- Sesame Street, via the website Funny or Die, featuring Steve Martin and Kermit the Frog. It's not arrow-through-the-head funny, but it will surely bring a smile to your face.




     All this just to reflect and enjoy, and appreciate that Steve Martin, now at age 68, is still funny and charming and a blessing to us all.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have thought Steve Martin ages in reverse he seems to get younger as his chronological age increases..Oh, he is an accomplished banjo picker wow whee, so many talents..I heard him on Charlie Rose, his father never thought much of him and he had to do something to get his attention, card tricks as a kid, magic, then some humor, thanks to God he was not the favored child he grew up to a fabulous entertainer, creative and a genius at comedy plus he is pretty humble, he doesn't think of himself as a fabulous entertainer. He now has teamed up with the uber shy, wife of Paul Simon to sing on an album Edie Brickell..We just don't have entertainers like his kind anymore, instead we get Miley Cyrus disasters who only show their you know what for money and really are not entertainers..Bravo for honoring him.!

Kay Dennison said...

Steve Martin is great but my #1 comedian is the late, great George Carlin!!!

Stephen Hayes said...

Steve Martin is also an astute art collector with a collection of modern art worth millions.

Olga said...

Steve Martin always makes me smile and often laugh out loud.

Tom Sightings said...

I like George Carlin, too, but I wouldn't say he's my number 1. My number 1 is ... wait, that suggests another blog post!

Stephen ... interesting. B and I have a small collection of art worth hundreds.

DJan said...

I have loved Steve Martin ever since I saw him many years ago. I think my favorite movie of his was "All of Me" with Lily Tomlin. I still crack up just thinking about that movie, and his incredible performance. :-)

June said...

The new phone books are here!
The new phone books are here!

Douglas said...

Hey! That frog's pretty good! (true fans of Martin will get this reference/paraphrase)

Amelia Williams said...

I love Steve Martin's comedy, but the thing that really knocks me off my feet here at senior match is his banjo playing. I'm not guilty at all about saying that I was first introduced to that through the Muppet show. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I appreciate a more nuanced approach to comedy. To each his/her own!
Cop Car

Lescafe said...

Are you looking for an online dating website for over 50 singles? The Best Dating Sites Over 50 should be your guide to date senior on the Internet, with expert editor reviews, you will know which dating website should be your first choice.