Saturday, November 30, 2013

What Does the Fox Say?

     I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. Like many others, we have a "blended" type of family with children dispersed to the four winds -- one living in South Carolina, another in Buffalo. One of mine flew to Atlanta to see his mother.

     For the first time in a long time, we did not cook a turkey at home. We instead traveled to New Jersey and met up at a restaurant with another group of family that was at loose ends. It was a nice place. Among its many offerings was an all-you-can-eat dessert bar, which allowed me to cap off the meal with a piece of pumpkin pie, a scoop of bread pudding, a mini-cream puff, a chocolate chip cookie, and a little bit of fruit. You see (I pointed out to B), I had fruit for dessert!

     We made a good go of it. But I must confess that Thanksgiving is not my favorite holiday, especially since it's such a consummate family festivity, and my own family has long been apart.

     Yes, we caught up with some family members we know and love; we got news of other people; and we laughed and bonded. But on the way home, I couldn't help but think who was around the table. There we were ... one 30-something couple with no kids, and the widowed mother (her other daughter couldn't make the trip and had Thanksgiving with friends instead). The grandfather was there. He's a widower; he lives by himself in assisted living. Then there was the other widow with one of her two sons, and me, the divorced guy with none of his kids in attendance. I began to feel that we were not so much a family as a ragged assemblage of survivors in this marathon called life.

     But later that evening, my daughter the veterinarian, who'd had to work all day, sent me something that made me laugh. The silliness of it? The goofiness, or sheer absurdity? My daughter and I share a weird sense of humor that a lot of other people just don't understand. It's something we have in common.

     Take a look. It's stupid, I know, but it made me burst out laughing, along about the tenth pa-pa-pow, and through our weird sense of humor my daughter and I, on Thanksgiving, were able to share a laugh across the miles, to make a connection, like a wink across a crowded room . . .




8 comments:

rosaria williams said...

I wonder if we'd all drift away from each other if a holiday like Thanksgiving didn't bring us back to shore even for just a few hours.

schmidleysscribblins.com said...

You are right, you and your daughter have a different sense of humor. To know what the fox says, listen to any British mystery. Especially Midsommer Muders. They always have a fox making background noises. Or come to my neighborhood where the fox hunts early in the AM.
BTW you write well.. I appreciated this particular turn of phrase: "ragged assemblage of survivors in this marathon called life."…and I agree. Dianne

Anonymous said...

Lots of people like the Fox video - right now it has 257,802,497 hits on YouTube!

DJan said...

Well, that was fun. I enjoyed it, but I guess I didn't laugh out loud. Feeling pretty good for having survived the opening salvo of the holidays. :-)

Stephen Hayes said...

I like the way the tail wags on the guy in the fox suit as he's walking away. Fun!

Olga said...

So this is one of those things where you had to be there?

gigihawaii said...

I am glad you shared the holiday with others. How awful it would have been to be alone. Blessings.

Joanna Jenkins said...

I love that video! We had a 3 year old at Thanksgiving singing it All. Day. Long. And I still crack up at it.

Thanksgiving with blended families and families across the country are tough. I've lived apart from my family for 25 years and still have a hard time not being with them. Sigh.

Glad your day ended on a high note!
jj