Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Send a Wish Upon a Star

     They say you should never explain and never apologize. But I'm going to do both. Briefly.

     I apologize for posting an entry about QE2 on Memorial Day. The explanation is that I had just been reading about Quantitative Easing and got caught up in the whole thing, and so I went ahead and posted my "take" on the issue without stopping to think:  Who wants to read about QE2 on Memorial Day?

     I should have waited until the work week started. But if you're a masochist about these things as I can sometimes be -- and now that the work week is here -- then you might want to check out financial expert Michael Pento on the subject. I don't necessarily agree with him -- he's even more distressed about the prospect of QE3 than I am -- but he's got a point of view you might want to at least consider.

     For Memorial Day I should have posted something more "in tune" with the spirit of the day. So here I am doing something ass backwards again, making my Memorial Day contribution now -- a pretty but melancholy lullaby by the Australian songwriter Sia. If it sounds at all familiar to you, it's because it was used as background music in an episode of the Showtime TV series "The Big C," starring Laura Linney, and also in a trailer for last year's movie Hereafter, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Matt Damon.

     The song doesn't pertain directly to Memorial Day and the sacrifices made by our people in uniform. It doesn't even relate to how the holiday marks the beginning of summer and gives workers a long weekend (although both of those are good things). I just hope it makes us reflect on how important it is to ...

     ... send a wish upon a star.

6 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Lovely video!

Robert the Skeptic said...

You don't need to apologize for posting what you post when you post it. It's your blog.

rosaria said...

Did somebody complain? Where do they live?

schmidleysscribblins.wordpress.com said...

For me, too much memorial on memorial day as it is. What matters is the rest of the year. We have a grandson in Afghanistan. The living matter too. I just ignored it all after a while, although we did watch a couple of movies. Dianne

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

Your postings are so wonderful, I can't imagine why someone would complain just because you didn't follow the Memorial Day theme! One of the lovely things about blogging is writing what's on your mind. Thanks so much for this video. It's beautiful. And I agree that, whether or not we agree with the current ongoing wars, we should keep living troops in our thoughts and prayers every day of the year as well as remembering those who have given their lives in the service of this country.

Sightings said...

You know who complained? The worst person of all. That niggling voice in my head of doubt and self-criticism. So many thanks for your support (even tho' you and I all know that it'll never go away entirely.) May we all blog on forever.